Join now - be part of our community!

Latest from Sony on the Catch-up situation , just got my dealer Since my a90j purchase

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

Latest from Sony on the Catch-up situation , just got my dealer Since my a90j purchase

We would like to thank you again for all the support you have given Sony and its new FY21 TV range since it launched at the end of April 2021. The range has been a success and the feedback on the quality of the TVs from consumers, reviewers and importantly store staff has been extremely positive. 

You have kindly supported us in managing your customers’ expectations when it comes to highlighting the delayed availability of “catch-up” services on the new Sony FY21 Google TVs. Since we first notified you of this on 16th April 2021, Sony senior management has been working closely with Google and Youview to reach a positive outcome. Unfortunately, however, we are still not in a position where we can give you a confirmed date for the software update. As soon as we are notified of this date we will let you know immediately.

We thought it would be a good idea to highlight all the various ways you can still access “catch-up” services with a Sony FY21 Google TV. Please find a list of these below:

•              Chromecast: simply watch a catch-up service (e.g. BBC iPlayer) on your phone or alternate device and press the Chromecast button to start watching on your Google TV. Please find attached a PDF with more information relating to this.
  •              Gaming consoles e.g. PlayStation
  •              Blu-ray players e.g. UBPX700
  •              Set-top boxes: e.g. Freeview box, Sky Q, BT box and Virgin
  •              Streaming dongles e.g. Amazon Firestick and Roku stick

As a reminder, please can we ask you to update your websites with the following disclaimer against all the 2021 Google TV models:

•              “BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 & My5 are expected to be available during 2021. Some services are only available in the UK”

Please can we ask that you continue to bear with us on this. Your support is very much appreciated."

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@eddieseymourDo you mind if I ask who the retailer is you purchased your A90J from, who was kind enough to share this info with you?

And just an FYI, none of the alternative methods suggested by Sony give you access to the BBC's HLG HDR content. They're all workarounds, not a solution.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

Maybe not a good idea to expose them on here 🙂

But agree,  this is the issue no HDR or 4K via Iplayer.

Regards

Eddie

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@eddieseymour @CyberWoogy 

You can watch all the 4K there is on BBC iPlayer, on Roku devices that support 4K, and for all I know, on other of Sony’s workarounds also. It’s HLG HDR that’s harder to pin down.

Regarding HLG HDR, this article suggests that both the Roku Streaming Stick+ and the Amazon Firestick 4K support HLG HDR:-

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/roku/1406437/roku-streaming-stick-plus-review

To get  HLG HDR, according to the BBC, you need an HLG-HDR-capable TV, streamed from a device that supports it, over a Premium HDMI cable into an HDMI input which has been put into Deep Colour mode, or whatever name the TV gives to enhancing the HDMI input.

So quite a few ways to not get it, even from a compatible device connected to a compatible TV.

I’ve just tried the Roku SS+ on our 2015 Samsung with the BBC’s His Dark Materials to an enhanced HDMI input, no HDMI cable needed; it give 4K, but there is no mention of HDR, which this TV can do, but possibly (probably?) not HLG HDR.

I tried the same programme on the iPlayer on our LG GX, which does show the HLG HDR logo top right.

There’s a Roku Premiere 4K on this TV, on a Premium HDMI cable to an enhanced input; now I know what I am looking for, I will see if HDM shows up as HLG HDR tomorrow, and report back.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@CyberWoogy @eddieseymour 

2020 LG Nano, Roku Premiere 4K, BBC iPlayer, His Dark Materials.

Native on the TV, HLG HDR.

On the Roku, HLG HDR.

So “And just an FYI, none of the alternative methods suggested by Sony give you access to the BBC's HLG HDR content” is incorrect.

So yes “They're all workarounds, not a solution” is true, as none of them is as seamless as having the apps on the TV itself. As I can testify, as we still have to use the Roku to get All4 on our 2020 LG sets, though the LG Magic Remote makes this a 3 button press process, when even the native BBC iPlayer takes 2 presses.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@royabrown2  Thank you for your considered efforts.

I know the lack of HLG HDR can be solved with a £30-40 stick but, why should anybody have to resort to such tactics? And if you've multiple components already attached to your TV, are you likely to have a HDMI port spare to hook one up? Not everyone uses a receiver, known for having multiple inputs.

I pre-ordered my A90J and iPlayer was clearly advertised as being part of the TV's operating system when I placed my order, an order for a TV that cost over two and a half thousand pounds.

I think the thing that doesn't sit well with anyone who is interested in iPlayer, or any of the other UK TV catch-up services, is the lack of information and transparency from Sony. Sony's customer service support are completely ineffective as they aren't armed with any information.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@CyberWoogy 

Thanks for the kudo, but despite cupping my ear, I’m not hearing “Sorry, I was wrong about this”, but just a change of tack 😛

I would stand your argument on its head though; having carefully chosen a multi £K Sony TV, presumably for very good reasons, why should you have to send it back and choose a make you must have regarded as inferior, just because the Players are late? And if you don’t send it back, why should you be without Players until Sony get their act together and add them?

When a £30-£40 stick will tide you over until they arrive; with, as I have demonstrated, no downside at all in the 4K/HLG HDR stakes? OK, maybe add £10 for an HDMI splitter/combiner if you are running out of ports, but no more than that.

Which Sony, if they have any sense, will be making an allowance to dealers to provide at no cost to affected customers; much cheaper than having the sets come back under the Sale Of Goods Act 2015.

Because we are where we are, like it or not, and those are the three choices. So do you want to have a rant, or do you want to have a fix? Especially given that, as above, you can have a fix and still have a rant?

As regards Sony support, I think they are completely armed with all the information currently available, as per that letter to a dealer; but they are not allowed to share it, such as it is, with mere customers.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@royabrown2  I beg your pardon?! Wrong about what?

I pre-ordered my particular TV in good faith, with the UK TV catch-up TV services clearly advertised. In fact, if you reset the A90J, some of them are still on the loading page for Google TV when prompted to sign in.

So, you'll forgive me for not getting on bended knee and bowing to show my appreciation as a stick is still a workaround and not a solution to the problem to make up for Sony's failings.

And Sony's support is woeful, not only in relation to the lack of apps. I asked a technical question in May, it's been elevated twice and still Sony are unable to answer it. Instead they pass the buck, blaming other companies for their own shortcomings.

When you pay for my TV, then you'll get an apology.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@CyberWoogy 

Wrong about “And just an FYI, none of the alternative methods suggested by Sony give you access to the BBC's HLG HDR content”.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

From my side given a customer who spent a lot 83" A90J,  price of a small car 🙂

Rather than put the options on the customer,  it would be better if Sony took the options above and offered to supply / fund items as a temp options as an offer to give a intrim soultion as good will gesture.

This way it will show some sort of soultion to the issue and action taken.

Its not perfect but better than the churn.