Join now - be part of our community!

Motionflow issue

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

Motionflow issue

I find out something intresting about Motionflow in my KDL 50W755C. Motionflow not work in default or any other players when videofile have aspect ration other than 16:9.

72 REPLIES 72
profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

My 49x8000D also got this problem.

Try with Kodi, any video with aspect ratio 16:9 Motionflow work perfect, but other video with 2.2:1, 2.222, 1.85:1, 2.40:1 Motionflow not work.

with maximum smoothness there are no difference compare to off.
I have noticed this thing few month ago but I never think it relate to aspect ratio.
The main features of television should not to be problem like this.

ps. I also try to stretch these video to full screen, change to 16:9 seem motionflow back to work with more smooth but I can't watch these movie with abnormal aspect ratio.

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

In my opinion this is old bug, but I cannot conifrm that or check, since firmware downgrade is not possible. Nevertheless, I remember that there was some threads regarding motion and aspect ration.

First - is should be confirmed that occurs in all players (Sony video + all others), = Sony bug.

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

Tested today with sony video player.

Same video without re-encode but demux and change aspect ratio.

16:9   Work

1.85:1   Work

2.2:1   Not work

2.222   Not work

2.40:1   Not work

It doesnt relate to aspect ratio. If video render in full screen, Motionflow work

but any video with black bar, Motionflow not work.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am still not sure whether I understand it correctly, because what you are doing is faking around to prove something. How about some real life examples?

Changing the aspect in the container might not always have the same effect as players might use the video stream aspect.

So what's the true resolution an aspect ratio of your video? By changing the container aspect, you let the player app distort the video vertically, introducing black bars, right?

Can't you find real life examples to reproduce it? Do the samples on page 1 work to reproduce the issue? There was some mention about manually changing aspect, but I really don't know what to do to reproduce it:

I have two video samples: one 2.35:1 aspect ratio and frame size 1920x804(Motionflow not working)

other close to 16:9 aspect ratio and frame size 1920x1040(Motionflow working perfectly). In this sample black bars was added manually.

It is again about faking somehow, right?

Please explain in more detail and maybe work with pictures.

profile.country.GB.title
Alex299def
Explorer

I can confirm motionflow not work in VLC Player, MX Player, VIMU Player, Archos video player. Only in fullscreen videos it works perfect.

Its a firmware bug

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

OK, I can reproduce it now. You don't need to remux video with different container AR. Just use a player where you can manually override AR.

Indeed the MotionFlow interpolation effect is much less pronounced on video with black bars, like for example those in a true 2.35:1 cinemascope format (so not 16:9 with encoded black bars). In this case, the player has to add black bars. True 2.35:1 content without encoded black bars can easily be stretched to 16:9 without any black bars (it is vertically distorted then). MotionFlow interpolation effect is much more pronounced afterwards.

I need to further investigate, but in my opinion, MotionFlow still has an effect on video with black bars. There is only slight SOE. But in those actions scenes in the sample given earlier, one can still spot motion interpolation artifacts. So I think the effect is just less pronounced.

The whole MCFI thing is a hardware machine IMHO. Probably the algorithm is not as accurate anymore with black bars. I am not sure whether something can be done about it in firmware...

profile.country.GB.title
iamnague

I confirm the issue: I have both TV at home (55XE9005 and 55X8509C), and movie playback smoothness is far not as good on X90E as X85C with apps like vlc, kodi or emby (with exact same setting in picture profile).

I hope this issue can fix in firmware.

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

I have ton of video that Motionflow doesnt work. The reason that I tried same video & change aspect ratio because I need to cut any possible variant to test, ex : video format, video frame rate, bit depth, container type etc.. and focus about aspect ratio which lead us suspect about black bar and yes if I stretched the video to 16:9, Motionflow work flawless but I cannot enjoy movie with abnormal aspect ratio.

Many movie nowaday come with 2.40:1 aspect ratio, less with 16:9

That mean Motionflow will not work with most movie. This is no good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

In the Advanced Picture settings, under the section of 'Motion' can you experiment with 'Film Mode'

High:

Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for a wide selection of video formats, with additional frame compensation to remove judder.

Medium:

Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for movies and computer graphics, with additional frame compensation to remove judder.

Low:

Process IP (Interlaced-Progressive) conversions appropriate for movies and computer graphics

Off:

Optimises picture quality based on video content, such as movies and computer graphics.

Cheers

profile.country.US.title
Perlnx

My television have just "auto" and "off"
Select both does not affect to Motionflow, same result.