Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Dolby Vision brightness keeps chaning - is there a setting to st

profile.country.GB.title
Endless.Riffing
Explorer

Netflix Dolby Vision brightness keeps chaning - is there a setting to st

Netflix Dolby Vision has always been fine on my Android TV until Oreo. Now the picture keeps changing brightness / colour temperation whilst watching. For example "The King" seems to be dark then when the camera pans to a slightly lighter angle the screen brightness increases for the whole picture like a "wipe". The colour temp also changes from yellowish to bluish. All ok again when the scene changes. Are there any settings to stop this?

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I honestly wish there was a way to disable Dolby Vision on Sony Android TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

I honestly thought I was bonkers having experienced exactly this problem. Just add it to the pretty crap Sony experience of a multiple thousand pound TV.

I swear to god, there's something untoward going on with these Sony TVs and throttling I reckon.

Some days there is content available with Atmos, some days not. Disney+ Atmos content is just starting to filter through but, not everything, not everything via the TV's built-in app that has it available elsewhere.

And now this varying experience of DV via Netflix. Not any other app or any other component attached that utilises DV, just Netflix.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey CyberWoogy, what's the model number of your TV?

profile.country.GB.title
andhas
Explorer

I have this issue as well.

I have the KD-55AF8.

The colour/brightness changing is driving me insane!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi andhas, have you tried  adjusting the brightness for each source separately? https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/faep1/v1/en/08-02_04.html?hl=brightness

Also check this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173465

profile.country.GB.title
andhas
Explorer

It only happens when I stream Dolby Vision with the apps (Netflix/Disney+) in the TV, so no external sources.

I have tried to disable all the "enhancing" featuers and setting all settings to default.

I have not done a factory reset, I do not want to have to redo all the account settings and so on.

It disappears for some time after I do a reboot.

Piscie
Community Team

I guess a factory reset will solve this issue since you've tried all the steps mentioned on the above links already.

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

Duplicated in error

profile.country.GB.title
CyberWoogy

@PiscieA factory reset does not solve the issue. It's very unusual behavior and particular to Sony it would seem.

And it isn't limited to the Dolby Vision Bright setting, it also happens on Dolby Vision Dark... why Sony? Why is the brightness not a constant on Dolby Vision?!

This is just the straw that broke the camels back for me, my A90J is going back to the point of purchase to be replaced with a JZ2000.

I've never paid so much for a TV or ever been so unhappy, as well as frustrated, with a purchase of one.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team