Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Dolby Vision brightness keeps chaning - is there a setting to st

profile.country.GB.title
Endless.Riffing
Explorer

Netflix Dolby Vision brightness keeps chaning - is there a setting to st

Netflix Dolby Vision has always been fine on my Android TV until Oreo. Now the picture keeps changing brightness / colour temperation whilst watching. For example "The King" seems to be dark then when the camera pans to a slightly lighter angle the screen brightness increases for the whole picture like a "wipe". The colour temp also changes from yellowish to bluish. All ok again when the scene changes. Are there any settings to stop this?

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Which TV we are talking about?

profile.country.GB.title
Endless.Riffing
Explorer

KD-65XE9305

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Are you sure it does not depend on the Advanced Contrast Management setting on your edge led tv?

By design Dolby Vision being dynamic can adjust the picture setting scene by scene, but it should not so visible...

profile.country.GB.title
Endless.Riffing
Explorer

I'll try that and see. I really never go into anything in the advanced settings. It wasn't doing this before oreo and now it is. BBC iplayer UHD has no problems.

profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

I just gave up with Netflix 4K in the end and downgraded to normal HD subscription. I got fed up with the fact neither Sony nor Netflix were interested in sorting out the garbage Dolby Vision picture. The HD picture is actually better.

In fairness to Sony, I suspect it's Netflix who are the problem as 4K on Amazon Prime all is stunning... This suggests it's either the Netflix feed or the Netflix app that's dodgy.

I'd encourage everyone to downgrade or cancel their Netflix subscription if only to shake them up.... You can bung it back on anytime within a year and your profiles/faves are all saved. Blindly paying them every month is lazy and encourages their slackness.

profile.country.GB.title
theres1dentevil
Explorer

Oddly enough this has just started happening with my KD-55XF9005 TVNo setting changes will stop it happening. From what I can gather it seems to be a Netflix app issue with Dolby Vision. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

It's just started doing it on my XG9005. Either that or I've never noticed it before.

profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

Fiddling with the settings is futile. I should say that I marginally improved matters by hardwiring my TV to router via ethernet cable. The telly is virtually next to the router and I have good/solid/fast WIFI so I cant believe it was some sort of "signal" issue but, using ethernet the picture improved from shocking to very poor.

Also, Disney+ use Dolby Vision a lot - you could look at that to compare DV pictures? 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I read elsewhere that a soft reboot (hold power button down on remote) cures it. 

It worked for me, as just rewatched scenes which were changing in brightness and colour temperature and it's fine again.

Looks like a software issue in this case maybe the DV gets its metadata messed up on Netflix.

Edit: well it's pretty rubbish actually as the next thing we watched started doing it again 😞 so rebooting while temporarily fixing it doesn't seem to stick for long.

As an aside Adv. Contrast Enhancer doesn't help even if switched off.