Join now - be part of our community!

Picture settings don't change with HDR channels

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

Picture settings don't change with HDR channels

After the update my TV (XE9005) does not change settings automatically when an HDR channel is detected. I have to manually change them every time. Before the update it was automatic.

Via HDMI it works great (the TV automatically change settings when HDR is detected), but via satellite no more.

You can try with Hotbird 4K1.

I have already resetted the tv. No change. I think it's a new bug

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi marcobremb,

Can you tell me more about your setup and which HDMI ports you are using for your satellite settings?

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.IT.title
marcobremb

No HDMI

Is the integrated satellite tuner. Live channel.

Via HDMI it has no problems

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

i also notice this when using smartyoutube, the 4k HDR vids do not auto change

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Prior20wrote:

i also notice this when using smartyoutube, the 4k HDR vids do not auto change

With that app you must first make sure that it is streaming a VP9.2 (HDR) video. In S-YouTube go to Option/quality/video (if I remember correctly) and then select a VP9.2 stream if present. Be aware that it seems that various videos claim to be HDR but then the app doesn't show any VP9.2 stream at all. Usually all video from "The HDR Channel" are in HDR. At least the ones I checked. Watch content from them and see if it works.

profile.country.JP.title
Sammy_Kneen
Explorer

Hi there,

I’m having a similar problem with the X900F when switching between SDR and HDR content on the PS4 Pro over HDMI in Game Mode.

When I start up a HDR game the only settings that automatically change are my Brightness setting to Max and X-Tended Dynamic Range to High, and they automatically change back to the original setting when I leave HDR which is good.

However, any other settings don’t change automatically so for example if I change Contrast or Local Dimming when in SDR then it overwrites my HDR setting for it and vice versa.

I’d like to have my Local Dimming setting at Low for SDR and High for HDR but I can’t without manually changing it back every time I enter/exit HDR.

I’m just wondering whether anyone can confirm if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my set? If it’s normal is there any chance it’ll be fixed in a future update? It’s really inconvenient having to adjust all my picture settings except Brightness and X-Tended Dynamic Range every time I switch from SDR to HDR and vice versa.

Really hope someone can help!

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@Sammy_Kneenwrote:

Hi there,

I’m having a similar problem with the X900F when switching between SDR and HDR content on the PS4 Pro over HDMI in Game Mode.

When I start up a HDR game the only settings that automatically change are my Brightness setting to Max and X-Tended Dynamic Range to High, and they automatically change back to the original setting when I leave HDR which is good.

However, any other settings don’t change automatically so for example if I change Contrast or Local Dimming when in SDR then it overwrites my HDR setting for it and vice versa.

I’d like to have my Local Dimming setting at Low for SDR and High for HDR but I can’t without manually changing it back every time I enter/exit HDR.

I’m just wondering whether anyone can confirm if this is normal or if there is something wrong with my set? If it’s normal is there any chance it’ll be fixed in a future update? It’s really inconvenient having to adjust all my picture settings except Brightness and X-Tended Dynamic Range every time I switch from SDR to HDR and vice versa.

Really hope someone can help!

If I understand you right, you are suggesting to have a dedicated picture profile for HDR content. Just like the current Cinema Home for example. Is that correct? And then also have a auto-detect function like the current Auto 24p Mode that detects 24p content on the HDMI input and switches the active picture profile automatically to Cinema Pro? But then spicifically to work for HDR content?

Well the idea is a good one. In fact the implementation of the Dolby Vision addition to the existing HDR modes is done exactly in that way. But the Dolby Vision picture profile is locked so you don’t have access to its settings unless the playback content is DV. Plus it never shows among other picture profiles. So you can’t apply it to other content.

I also remember to actually have seen a dedicated picture profile called even HDR before, just can’t remember now on which series and Android version it was. The OLEDs don’t have it, that I know.

How about saving your preferred picture settings for HDR just under the Custom profile? I know you still will have to switch to it every time you want it. But again, don’t you do that already for other viewing conditions like when you want to watch a movie and switch manually to Cinema Pro or Cinema Home?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@marcobrembwrote:

After the update my TV (XE9005) does not change settings automatically when an HDR channel is detected. I have to manually change them every time. Before the update it was automatic.

Via HDMI it works great (the TV automatically change settings when HDR is detected), but via satellite no more.

You can try with Hotbird 4K1.

I have already resetted the tv. No change. I think it's a new bug

I have done some testing on this and my results are somewhat mixed. Zapping to an HDR Satellite broadcast channel on the built-in DVB-S tuner doesn’t pick the HDR signal for some channels but it does it well for others. At the moment there are numerous HDR demo channels being broadcasted on the Astra 19.2/23.5/28.8 and Hotbird 13.0 by SES and others. Some do trigger the HDR mode others don’t.

I think given that we are still in the early days of the introduction of HDR, it is to be expected that there is still not a rock solid convention on use-case technicalities across the different stakeholders. 

My expectation is that in the coming year or two we will gradually see adjustments being implemented by all industry leaders to iron out the anomalies. At the moment the ball is still out and we will have to wait and see who will have the best to offer between HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. 

profile.country.JP.title
Sammy_Kneen
Explorer

Thankyou for your reply! It’s good to know there’s nothing wrong with my set and this is normal. Using Custom picture mode for separate HDR settings is a good idea for normal content, thanks.

However, since I use my TV mainly for gaming then I won’t benefit from the reduced input lag in HDR with Custom mode. 😞

Yeah, ideally separate settings for SDR and HDR Game mode would be useful. At the moment Brightness and X-Tended Dynamic Range are saved separately but all the other settings are carried over between SDR and HDR in Game mode.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@marcobremb wrote:

I think it's a new bug

Going back again to the OP. What I have noticed with the v6.2858 update is that the three options under Picture Profile > Picture Options > {HDR Mode, HDMI Color Range, Color Space} are not saved to the corresponding picture profile anymore. So if you select let’s say HLG for HDR mode under the Vivid Picture profile then change the profile to Standard. Your HLG selection remains persistent. I’m not sure if that’s a bug or was the change by design to decouple those 3 options free from the active Picture Profile.

After further investigation it turns-out that my observation is not correlated with the v6.2858 update. The 3 mentioned Video Options are coupled not to the corresponding active Picture Profile but to the Source type. This has been by design since long ago.

In any case I have indeed read various reports about the auto-switch to HDR mode being broken since the v6.2858 firmware upgrade.