Join now - be part of our community!

playback and recording problem KD 48XD8077

profile.country.GB.title
nickandjudy
New

playback and recording problem KD 48XD8077

Hallo

I have recently noticed that when I am recording a program to my usb hdd if I try to playback the same program whilst recording the playback freezes and has to be restarted again. This happens after a few minutes of playback.  The program records fine and playback isn't an issue once the program has finished recording.

I have done a factory reset and the software is upto date

Does anyone else have or know of this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi nickandjudy,

Thanks for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @nickandjudy and welcome to the community,

If I understand correctly, what you are experiencing is expected behaviour, as you need to wait until the recording has finished before playing back I'm afraid.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
nickandjudy
New

Ok

thanks for reply and clearing that up as the next step would have been sending the tv back to be replaced!

Cheers

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

I have an 55XE8505, with the same issue. Latest Android firmware installed.

"you need to wait until the recording has finished"

😞

It is a 5 hour recording, which was started early morning, today I want to watch this, and I can't.

profile.country.GB.title
.piran
Explorer

Similar or same issue here on a new KD-55A1. 

If a TV programme is watched live (whilst same is being recorded down to the HDD) the former sooner or later just freezes - as though it were an instance of infinite buffering. Faffing about I can get the thing 'restarted' - seemingly without losing any content in the interrupted flow of the programme. Irritating though. The ON time doesn't last long and the live viewing [sic] freezes unexpectedly again and again... usually I just give up and wait for the new state of the art modern Android OS equipped TV to complete its recording to HDD. This appears to survive the hiatus that was foistered on my attempted live viewing. However the viewing experience is spoilt and the timing is usually inconvenient. 

Much like an earlier poster I eventually realised that the workaround is NOT to attempt chasing-the-tail-recording-viewing on this super modern Android OS stuff. If there is chance I might want to chase the tail I now opt to use my super old HUMAX/PANASONIC standalone FreeSAT/FreeView PVR technology dusty antiques which have been transparently achieving this obvious task for the last decade or few. Trust that Sony's/Google's top designers are appropriately humble - albeit silently as usual:-) Another not-a-bug... a feature I expect.

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

Last time I tried to use recoring, and wathcing the recorded program, was the Lemans 24hrs race.

Do you think, that I wanted to wait the 24hrs to finish, to watch the programme? Oh, no...

I have a 10 (or more) years old HDD-DVD recorder, which has timeshift, I was able to view the same TV programme, and record it. But, of course, it is a horrible quality, 576i analog recording, I don't want to use it anymore :slight_smile:

Of course, I split the records to 8 hour peridos, because it is the maximum time.

This buffering problems shows me, why the real timeshift is disabled on android tv. This system is unable to do that.

And it is not a HDD limit, because the HDD can read and write 100Mbyte/sec simultanously on USB3

profile.country.GB.title
.piran
Explorer

My guess is that there is an economic reason eg the cost of another tuner and signal amplification - to cope with the offset viewing. Of course the KD-55A1 being too cheap to get the extra resource included. Best option: keep the old stuff if it still works (both mine still do HD fine, one on FreeSAT and one on FreeView).

PostEdit: typo

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

"another tuner "

I dont't think.

When I record a TV programme, and I want to watch the recorded programme from HDD, no tuner is needed.

For example, I start recording, turn off the TV (the recording continues). An hour later I turn the TV on, select recorded title list, and play the actually recorded thing from the start. After 1-2 minutes, it stops playing.

profile.country.GB.title
.piran
Explorer

Oh... that way around. Mine occurs trying to watch live (leaving the recording safe). I assumed that the HDD recorder system on this Android stuff was relatively unintelligent. Not attempting to touch the recording in progress seemed to be the safest option. Bit cheesed off when it was the live stuff that froze.