Join now - be part of our community!

Screen blacks for microsecond intermitently whilst viewing

profile.country.GB.title
davegibbo1
Explorer

Screen blacks for microsecond intermitently whilst viewing

Whilst watching any channel on my 55A1 via virgin v6 the screen momentarily goes black. It is as if you blinked. This may happen 3-4 times during a programme and it also happens on player etc. It does not appear if you play back exact part of programme so it is tv and not recording or programme. My settings are on hdmi arc and the enhanced 4K settings are enabled. Please can anyone help. It is extremely annoying.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi davegibbo1,

Please clarify the following if possible:

• Has the issue started recently, or was it there since the first day you started using both devices together?
  • Is the Tivo V6 connected directly to the A1 through a HDMI cable? If so, how long is the cable?
  • What other devices except for the Tivo V6 are connected to the A1 at the moment?
  • Have you made an attempt to tidy up cables behind your audio/video devices by binding cables together?

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
davegibbo1
Explorer

Hi there. Only had the tv a couple of months and in all honesty only noticed it a couple of weeks ago although could have been there all the time. It is connected straight to v6 via 4K hdmi cable about 2metres long. Also connected to PS4 and dvd via 4K hdmi same length. Yes they have been tightened and tidied and installed by professional. 

When playing on I player for World Cup showing in uhd the sound loses intermittent words in commentary. Not sure if this is connected.

got to say having paid out a lot of money for this tv it is a let down.

hope you can assist.

many thanks. Dave

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

There is no reason to worry about this issue Dave. It is a fairly common problem which has nothing to do with your first-in-class A1 at all.

The problem is that HDMI cables are manufactured with a different quality variety when it comes to EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) shielding. The worse thing one can do to either HDMI cables or Ethernet cables is to tie them up parallel with mains cables, or run them too close to subwoofers or Wi-Fi routers. Certified HDMI cables are always required to pass certain EMI tests to obtain their certification. I would recommend you order and replace the HDMI cable between the A1 and the Tivo V6 with for example this one for £9: http://amzn.eu/6m5dHXN

But if you prefer not to replace the cable, you could also unbind your current HDMI cable and let it loosely run between the A1 and the Tivo V6 away from mains cables. Then try to check if the issue is resolved.

Regarding your intermittent sound drops on the iPlayer UHD WC Trials, I am pretty confident that the cause is the same problem. Since the 4K@50fps HDR signal comes very close to the limit of the max bandwidth for HDMI 2.0.

Keep us posted!

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
davegibbo1
Explorer

Many thanks and I will let my tv guy know and hopefully carry it all out. I will let you know how it works out. 

Regards, Dave