Join now - be part of our community!

Power down USB port on KD-55X9005C TV on standby

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
vettesea
Explorer

Power down USB port on KD-55X9005C TV on standby

Hello

can anyone advise if there is a way I can set the USB port to power down when the TV goes on standby.  I have an optical switch powered off the USB port and ideally would like the power to close off when I turn the TV off so that the sound stops from the soundbar.

Tv is KD-55X9005C

many thanks

andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I found the USB port used for HDD recording powered down after around 15 minutes of the TV being put into standby. Its obviously by design, but it did seem odd it waits for so long before cutting the power to the port.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The constant power to the USB ports is by design im afraid.  The only thing I can suggest for you is an external USB Mains plug instead of using the TVs USB ports.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
vettesea
Explorer

Hi

thanks for reply.

strangely I noticed after a few days of use that the optical device plugged in was powering down after a period of time.  I initially assumed this was because once the sky box went into standby no optical

signal was being received from either the TV or sky so it turned off.  However I would then have expected turning on the sky box would have powered up the optical switch, but it did not.  It required the tv to be turned on as well.  Which is exactly the behavior I was looking for, I just don't quite know why!!

but I can live with that.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I found the USB port used for HDD recording powered down after around 15 minutes of the TV being put into standby. Its obviously by design, but it did seem odd it waits for so long before cutting the power to the port.

profile.country.GB.title
bgilesuk
Explorer

Sony KDL-32WD756

Sony KD-43X72K

I know this is an old topic, but would like to understand why the USB ports continue to supply power after the TV's are put into standby. Surely power is only required from standby when a HDD is attached, and a program is scheduled to record. I know this behaviour is reported here as 'By design', but not explanation of the logic.

My Sony KDL-32WD756 initially switches off USB power when put into standby, then power comes back on 50 seconds later, and remains on for a further 10 minutes, before finally switching off. This is consistent behaviour.

I have hearing aid TV connectors connected to the USB ports on both TV's, so it's frustrating they switch back on when the TV's are off.

Brian

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Only Sony and the designers involved can answer that definitively.

One guess might be that a shutdown initially only does what the user expects to see (turns screen and audio off) and that behind the scenes the TV then silently reboots for any housekeeping of the operating system to be performed and also updating of programme guides and perhaps also firmware update checks.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi bgilesuk, the TV goes through different stages of power while on standby:

TV goes to Standby with these steps in this order:

-First, the TV goes to active Standby, (highest power consumption). In this state, the TV still checks software updates, performs Automatic service updates, prepares for potential recordings, etc.
-After active Standby, TV goes to Full Standby (lowest power consumption). In this state, the TV has minimal activity. The delay between active Standby and Full Standby varies from tens of minutes up to one or two hours, depending on the TV model and the tasks that the TV has to perform.

-Some user settings can increase power consumption in Standby mode. These settings are, for example, Quick start, Remote Start, Google cast remote ON, EPG Caching, etc. Also, the use of an MHL connection and Wi-Fi (rather than Ethernet) connection can influence the power consumption levels. According to the settings and use of these features, Standby power can vary.

I hope that helps you understand it. 

profile.country.GB.title
bgilesuk
Explorer

@HannahEd01 @Mooly01 

Thank you both for your explanation as to the TV not going into full standby for some period after switching off, in order to carry out background maintenance tasks, or lie semi-dormant to wake on LAN activity.

I'm assuming the hardware arrangement of modern Sony TV's prohibits the ability of the OS to ONLY supply power to USB ports when the TV is fully on, which is a little unfortunate.

My initial arrangement of having these USB ports power my bluetooth hearing aid transmitters, may not be very common, and my workaround has been instead to use external power supplies for these adapters, and just rely on the loss of optical or line (headphone output) signals when the TV is switched off, which then puts the adapters into their own sleep/standby mode.

Regards

Brian

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi bgilesuk, thank you for the update, I personally think it's best to separate the power source for your hearing aid since the power won't be stable all the time.

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think that's okay. Just better be safe than sorry. 

profile.country.US.title
Moreyc
Explorer

My issue is similar. My wife has a TV streamer using the optical out. The streamer gets power from USB. She gets strange noises until the power goes “completely “ off. Even after the TV is turned off.

The USB on the TV seemed the logical place to plug in.