Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with Bravia Sync and ARC

SOLVED
profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

Problems with Bravia Sync and ARC

I have TV (KD-55XF7596) and soundbar (HT-X8500), both are made by Sony, TV have latest (6.6520) firmware installed and HDMI ARC connection doesn't work reliably.

When ARC works, list of devices for Bravia Sync looks like this (both connected devices are identified):

braviaok.jpg

When ARC doesn't work, list looks like this (type changed to Playback_1 and AudioSystem):

braviako.jpg

It's completely random, you turn on the TV one day and ARC works, another day not, same thing with restarts. Forward this to someone who works on firmware. Or can you advice on where should I post this feedback?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

after two weeks with working ground loop isolator I no longer have problems with ARC or Bravia sync ... so crux of the story: 

If you are having problems with ARC and Bravia sync, disconnect coaxial cable of cable tv/antenna from your AV equipment to see if it helps or not.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @novcze,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community!

The irregularities you are experiencing are due to EMI (electro-magnetic interference) on your HDMI ARC cable. Please replace your current cable with at least a HDMI Premium Certified High-Speed with Ethernet cable. But preferably since you might be using your PS4 for HDR gaming a HDMI Premium Certified Ultra Speed cable.

Cables without the HDMI Premium Certified label (orange label on packaging) have not passed the EMI testings required by the certification programme.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

I'm pretty sure that cables had the orange label on packaging, but ok I try another one.

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

I've checked my HDMI cables and they have certification, no need to buy another one.

If you insist on EMI, only logical conclusion is that Sony Bravia doesn't comply with the EU directive 2014/30/EU and shouldn't be on the EU market 😅 ... or maybe there is something that could be done on firmware side?

hdmic.jpg

I connected the soundbar with both optical and HDMI so I can get sound when ARC fails. Funny enough HDMI CEC works even when soundbar is not recognized as HT-X8500 so I can still change volume with TV remote control. 

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

so after more digging around in my setup, I found broken ground loop isolator for Cable TV so it's quite possible this was the cause of problems, too early to be sure but I update the thread after few weeks

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @novcze,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Tell us more about 'broken ground loop isolator for Cable TV'. Could you explain what you mean, or perhaps even upload a photo?

There are many reasons why even a Premium Certified cable might encounter issues. Doing tidy cable management, placing powerful sub-woofers/speakers too close to the cable, or placing strong radio emitters such as routers or repeaters very close to the running HDMI ARC cable can also cause issues. If none of the above is your case, then please make sure the length of your HDMI ARC cable is not longer than 1 to 1.5 meters.

As usual, keep us updated!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

Hi @dutchice 

by broken I mean no longer functioning, it is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Isolation-Transformer-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B00B2HFE2O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_23_t_...

it should isolate ground potential on coaxial cable from cable tv provider to prevent ground loop, more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

and because I have everything connected via HDMI, possible ground currents flow through HDMI cables and can cause interference especially on signals without differential signaling ... 

Now I have working ground loop isolator so in few weeks I should be able to tell if that was the cause of my problems or not. 

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

I'm keeping an eye on bravia reddit to see if more people are having ARC/Bravia sync issues caused by ground loops and sure enough they have 

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/cfy98z/xe90_just_updated_to_oreo_arc_issue_with_soundbar/

profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer
profile.country.CZ.title
novcze
Explorer

after two weeks with working ground loop isolator I no longer have problems with ARC or Bravia sync ... so crux of the story: 

If you are having problems with ARC and Bravia sync, disconnect coaxial cable of cable tv/antenna from your AV equipment to see if it helps or not.