Join now - be part of our community!

Side loading apps

profile.country.GB.title
joprett
New

Side loading apps

I am am having difficulty side loading an app from my android phone. Can anybody help me please ?

John P

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Hi Joprett,  what have you tried so far ?  You say that you are having problems sideloading "from" your phone.

Where are you trying to load the Apps to ?  I presume you are wanting to install them on to a TV ?

I have sideloaded some Apps for myself on to my TV recently... 

You need two different Apps that you can download direct from the TV's Google Play store App on to your Android TV.

They are called :  'TVLauncher' and 'ES File Explorer'.

But the apps that you want to sideload on to your TV must end with the letters  .apk  They aren't the standard kind of App on your phone although they do the same job.

Heres how I do it on my TV :

1.  On the TV's Home Page go to Settings.  > then Security and Restrictions. >  then choose to turn Unknown Sources On.  This allows you to install 3rd Party Apps.

2.   You can install ES File Explorer and TV Launcher direct from the TV's Google Play Store App.

They are two of the most commonly used Apps to help with the process.

ES FILE EXPLORER

2017-06-30 16.40.42.jpg

3.   Once downloaded this is the Home Page for  ES FILE EXPLORER .  To install an App         on to your TV you have to click on Network on the left hand side, and then choose             Cloud.

2017-06-30 16.26.05.jpg

4.   You are then presented with a box with various Download options.  You will need to have an account for the one that you want to use to download your app from.

2017-06-30 16.27.13.jpg

5.   You can then use the App called  TV Launcher  and include the downloaded App in it's Home Page for quick access on to your TV (see below)   Other apps may not be as straight forward as TV Launcher, bit I'm not sure.   

2017-06-30 16.40.42.jpg  2017-06-30 16.35.11.jpg   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As Northern_light said above, most often you need to download the .apk file for the app you want.  A google search can help with this. 

However there sometimes is another way too.  If you log into Googles Play store via a computer, sometimes you can sideload apps this way.  All you need to do is choose the TV from the drop down list of where you want to install the app to.  This doesnt always work however...

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Thanks Quinnicus, I didn't know there was another possible option for Sideloading.

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome :cool:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

This is how I do it:

- I installed X-plore (see later)

- I check the version of the app in the Google Play store

- I download the same version (the last) from apkmirror (it's legal - it doesn't provide cracked apk for premium apps -  and trustful)

- I move the downloaded apk in the Google Drive folder in my Mac (I suppose Windows has a similar mechanism). Doing so it gets synchronised in the Google Drive cloud.

- From X-plore I access Google Drive, I select and install the app. I suppose ES FIle Manager can do the same

Then sure, some sideloaded apps don't show in the Home. So one needs to install Sideloader Launcher from the Play store to launch them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Somehow, I always forget about the advantages of Google Drive... :mail:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I know!! But being that we can't write in the external USB devices, I've got used to do all my transfers via internet. And Google Drive showed to be quite handy. :slight_smile:

Well, it also helps to have a fiber connection, since my internet bandwidth is just about 1/3 slower than the max wifi capacity. With slow connections it can get quite frustrating. But in that case one can setup an ftp server and connect to it (for free. ssh instead requires a donation) via X-plore and access the same Google Drive (or else) folder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin - Heeeeeelp

I am trying to create some instructions on how to sideload apps using X-plore and Google Drive, but everytime I try and run/open the file from Google Drive i get "Parse error".  This also happens in "File Commander" too.  What am I doing wrong.

PS: Trying to create a FAQ on how to sideload apps.

----------------------------

3 – Using X-plore and Google Drive

In this example, I am going to demonstrate how to sideload GMAIL by placing the relevant file on Google Drive and using X-plore to install is.

Step 1:

Download the gmail .apk file.  .  A good place to find .apk files is: http://www.apkmirror.com/

Step 2:

Step 3:

Install X-plore from the Google Play Store on the TV

Step 4:

Load X-plore from the apps menu.  On first run you will need to ‘Allow’ X-plore to access photos, media and files.

Step 5:

On the left hand side of the screen you will need to navigate to “Web storage” and click on “Add server”. 

Step 6:

Choose Google Drive from the server list.  Another pop-up window will appear for you to allow contact.  Choose “Allow”.  After a few seconds the TV should add your Google Drive account to the TV according to the account that is already setup on the TV.  (Note: You may have to click on “Add server” again, but once you do your account will then appear)

Step 7:

Simply navigate your way down to the file inside Google Drive

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin

Ignore me - it seems that if you have set up a USB drive to use as internal storage, one MUST have that USB drive connected.  If the USB drive is disconnected then you MUST choose 'forget' storage, in order for you to access the TVs internal files.......