Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 49 XD8099 & Sony HT-AS5

profile.country.GB.title
Collective911
Explorer

Sony 49 XD8099 & Sony HT-AS5

Hi guys,

I was hoping you could help me. I have the above setup connected via ARC HDMI. The problem is when I switch the TV on it takes a good 10 seconds for the sound come through from the SKY box which is connected to the HT-AS5.

I have updated the software etc.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks

Collective911

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Collective911 wrote:

Hi guys,

I was hoping you could help me. I have the above setup connected via ARC HDMI. The problem is when I switch the TV on it takes a good 10 seconds for the sound come through from the SKY box which is connected to the HT-AS5.

I have updated the software etc.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks

Collective911

Hi Collective911

As a test, try disconnecting the lead from the AS5 to the TV, and then turning the Sky box on.

My guess is that, if your setup is wired how I think it is, the Sky box goes into the AS5, and that plays the sound from it directly, with only the video, effectively, going up the HDMI lead to the TV, and nothing coming back down the ARC path.

So the TV is not in the audio path at all; and if you still get the 10 second delay, this is a function of the Sky box, or of the AS5.

If, again as a test, you plug the Sky box, in Standby, directly into the TV via HDMI, with the TV On and pre-switched to that input, and the audio set to come from the TV, thereby dropping the AS5 out of the loop, do you still get the 10 second delay?

If you put it all back how it was originally, Sky box in Standby, pull the HDMI lead to the TV out, AS5 On and pre-switched to the Sky input, and turn the Sky box On, what if any delay do you get then?

Once we know where the delay is coming from, we can send you to the right place for help; maybe Sky, maybe Home Theatre help here for the AS5.

But unless you are sending the Sky sound up to the TV, and listening to the ARC returned audio instead of the Sky box audio directly (in which case you are doing it wrong, and should be listening to the Sky audio directly on your AS5), I don't think the TV can be implicated here.

Let us know how you get on with the above tests, and we can probably narrow down where to send you for more help.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Collective911
Explorer

Hello royabrown,

Thank you very much for your response.

I will deffo give that a try later tonight and report back here.

Just to add the TV is new and the HT AS5 was previously used with my old tv a Sony HX853 and the delay was there but that was due to HT AS5 and the TV just registering with each other when turning on.

The current set up is TV HDMI cable to HT AS5 and then HDMI cable from SKY box to HT AS5.

I've also had a play around with the settings on both the HTAS5 and the TV and makes no difference.

I was thinking wether I should change the lead from the TV to the HT AS5 to a HDMI 2.0 lead? Would it help?

Thanks again,

Collective911

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi again

There is no such thing as an HDMI 2.0 lead; only devices have an HDMI version number.

HDMI cables, for us domestic users, come in four types: High Speed/Standard Speed permed with Ethernet/non-Ethernet.

As long as your cables say High Speed on the sheathing and are 5m or less in length, you should have no problems.

But if they are marked Standard, you should replace them with High Speed ones. Whether they are Ethernet or not is irrelevant here.

Signals on HDMI cables don't degrade slowly, like analogue ones, with inferior cables; generally, if they aren't up,to scratch, then they fall off the so-called 'digital cliff'. So either they work, or you get nothing; it's pretty hard to mistake when an HDMI cable isn't working like it should.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Collective911
Explorer

Hi again,

I have carried out what royabrown has instructed above and I am still having the same issue.

Methods tested 

connected the sky box direct to the tv.

connected the whole setup with a new hdmi high speed cable.

used a new cable between the htas5 and the sky box 

Connected a totally new sky box to the system 

tv  has been updated to latest software 

reset also done on htas5 system 

Im really pulling my hair out now?

i just got this TV from John Lewis on Monday, Should I just return?

any help is appreciated.

thanks again 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I don't see the test where you disconnect the TV from the HT-AS5, so it's just a matter between the Sky box and the HT-AS5. To me, that is the key test.

(With no picture appearing to judge with, you will have to time 'Sky On to sound heard', and compare that with the same timing when the TV is connected)

And when you connected the Sky box to the TV, did you take the HT-AS5 completely out of the loop, and listen to the sound solely from the TV speakers? If that gave you the picture ten seconds before the sound, and the other Sky box did the same, I would be inclined to blame the TV, and as no one has reported anything similar with their Sky boxes, AFAIK, it would point to a faulty TV that needs replacing.

The only trouble with this theory is that when using the Sky box on the HT-AS5, the sound shouldn't be going anywhere near the TV - just into the HT-AS5 and straight out of its speakers, so I don't see how the TV could be delaying the sound if you have it set up correctly.

profile.country.GB.title
Collective911
Explorer

Hi, I completed the SKY box to HTAS5 direct test ( NO TV included) and the sound came through much quicker, just a couple of seconds.

I have a feeling that maybe the software update 6.01 is causing this issue.