Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AF9 / ZF9 Android Oreo - ARM Cortex A73 / MT5893 / 4GB Ram

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Sony AF9 / ZF9 Android Oreo - ARM Cortex A73 / MT5893 / 4GB Ram

Check out the video from 7:39, the OS seems so fluid. Hopefully all the issue have been fixed as Android TV has been so bad since its first inception from Sony in 2015.

Screenshot 2018-09-16 at 22.38.55.pngScreenshot 2018-09-16 at 22.42.39.png

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

GPU is an ARM Mali G71 now which also has more than double the performance, see here.

Looks like this is the Sony Android TV that it should have been from the very beginning. Still not too confident though as it is still only a MediaTek chipset. Hope some of the drivers bugs get sorted with the Oreo update also for ATV2. I doubt that though.

Weird thing is that now that more games will be playable on the faster platform, Sony downgraded usable flash memory to 6GB, see your screenshot. Let's just hope that the expandable storage driver bugs are fixed now. This has been broken on Sony ATV forever.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

How well can ATV2 run Oreo do you think?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Suppose that the experience will stay about the same. You will always have some lagging and stuttering on the slow CPU. Even a Raspberry Pi has a faster CPU.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Is ATV2 actually getting Oreo? Sony say a lot of things and usually fail to deliver. I will believe it when I see it.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They will yes. XF90 and AF8 are still ATV2. It would be fatal if those 2018 models wouldn't receive the Oreo update...