Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia KD-43XH8196 screen repair - can it be done?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Chr1sOD
Explorer

Sony Bravia KD-43XH8196 screen repair - can it be done?

Hi,

I recently (Oct-2020) purchased a Sony Bravia KD-43XH8196 TV for our living room.  We've previously had three Bravias and are big fans.  Unfortunately, the TV experienced some accidental damage, rendering part of the screen unwatchable.  We don't have accidental damage cover so I set about sorting out a repair.  This is where the fun started.

I contacted Sony and was directed their list of authorised repairers.  The two closest to where I live (Liverpool, UK) were 25 and 40 miles away respectively.  I contacted both to ask if they could repair the TV and both said 'No, Sony don't supply replacement screens so we can't repair it.'

Went back to Sony and checked with them as to whether I could get the screen fixed in some other way.   I was told that we should check if the service centres would pick-up and replace the TV with a new model.  Tried both repairers and the price for picking up the old TV and replacing it with a new one was more than the original cost of the TV.

Finally tried a local non-Sony repairer who I've dealt with before.  As soon as I mentioned the TV model they said 'No.  Sony don't do replacement screens.  You'll have to buy a new one instead.'

Naive I may be, but this seems a bit crazy.  All I want to do is get my Bravia repaired.  I'm happy to pay but it seems impossible to do.  Am I missing something obvious?  Clearly, with hindsight, I should have got accidental damage insurance, but it didn't seem so essential at the time.  Does anybody have any idea as to what I can do, aside from go and buy a Samsung?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer,

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Chr1sOD, I'm sorry, but the accidental damage can never be repaired.. 😞 the replacement through the service centre will also be refurbished.. I would say invest in a new one and lock the dog away :grin:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

For any TV replacing the display costs more than buying a new TV all together. That said is strange they dismiss you without giving even the option

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rooobb @Chr1sOD 

I don’t understand this comment. If Sony don’t supply replacement screens, as three people have told @Chr1sOD  then there is no ‘option’.

But even if they did, who would pay the greater cost of repairing this TV rather than buying a new one? It’s not like it’s an heirloom.

@Chr1sOD though, before buying a Samsung instead of replacing the set that you chose with another Sony - can you check with your non-Sony repairer whether Samsung supply replacement screens, and if so, whether it is economic to replace them?

Otherwise, it is just out of the frying pan into the fire.

But whichever set you choose next, I suggest you either add accidental damage cover to your household policy first, or get an extended warranty with the new TV that has cover for this.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Chr1sOD, I'm sorry, but the accidental damage can never be repaired.. 😞 the replacement through the service centre will also be refurbished.. I would say invest in a new one and lock the dog away :grin: