Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV - XH90 x900h XH9255 Random reboots / restarts still in 2022

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

Sony Bravia TV - XH90 x900h XH9255 Random reboots / restarts still in 2022

Hi All

I have had the Sony Bravia XH9255 (XH90 or X900h) 55 inch TV since 2020 and use it with Apple TV, and PS5 along with Freeview in the UK.

Ever since launch its been randomly rebooting during watching TV, browsing the TV guide, at start up sometimes 3 to 5 times a week and sometimes not at all for 2 weeks. Yes I have looked at turning various items off and on and during the last two years Sony have released new firmware and Google TV updates. Some updates even stated the sound issues with PS5 and also an update to stop random reboots. Yes it was unto date.

However mine still does this. 

Then I recently visited a John Lewis store and a Sony rep was there with the latest 2022 models. I told him I have the 2020 Full array TV and its superb yet it can reboot randomly when watching TV. 

The rep mentioned that this is a possible known issue and it could be a Motherboard or Power issue and to get it fixed. My TV is now going into repair as I have a Cover Plan and it's also has a 5 year Sony Warranty. (Its in Mint condition so I am a bit concerned about transit, but I am fed up with this reboot issue on a £1000 TV.)

Anyone else had this issue and it was hardware? Or is this always dodgy firmware, Android TV or items that trigger a reboot such as a HDMI port or item ?

Interested as I am wondering what the Repair Company will come back with. 

Cheers All.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.HU.title
frantic77
Explorer

I had this issue with the first firmware. Then nothing...

This week i installed the latest and 2 days later have had a reboot.  Really sucks...

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I bought my Sony TV 3 years ago (different model to yours), about 10 months in 

was notified of a firmware update, did it via USB and TV was okay for about 2 hours.

When trying to change channel the TV froze and became unresponsive to the remote control.

Powered down, waited about 2 minutes and powered back up, TV had picture and sound but

was completely unresponsive to the remote or the buttons on the back.

Tried powering down and up a few times, TV would have picture and sound

but still would not respond.

Under warranty with John Lewis called them up, TV got picked up after five days,

repairman said it was most likely the main/ motherboard as this is a known issue

with Sony TVs. 

TV came back in 3 days (over a weekend) with new mainboard and has worked flawlessly since,

two or three further firmware updates have been applied since and the TV has survived them all.

Hope your repair goes well and your TV works from now on.

And hope that Sony have sorted out the issues with mainboards in their new range of

overly expensive TVs.