Join now - be part of our community!

SONY KDL-50W809C Digital TV lost channels and 3D Pop Up issues

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

SONY KDL-50W809C Digital TV lost channels and 3D Pop Up issues

Hi

Had this TV since Sept 18th 2015. Bought it as love Sony products and have a PS4 etc.
Had a voucher from Currys due to a broken LG, went for Sony as read about faulty LG and Samsung sets. (don't think any TV has no issues!)

Having Apple equipment and having worked with mobile phones for 6 years I can say that Android TV is not my favourite choice, but at least it has Google behind it which means it should be fully supported and get updates more often than custom built smart TV software.

However: Since the last software update I have 3 major Faults.

Current software as off 1 Nov 2015: PKG2.605.0052EUA

1. Digital TV, channels work for 3 days MAx then one by One they disapear and statrt to state that there is No Signal? What No signal, why? Retuning restores the channels but surely I don't want to retune them every 3 days! This was fine for 1+months.

(When looking at the guide all the info has gone.)

2. 3D Bluray Movies from PS4 on HDMI4/ARC. When playing the movie a constant pop up appears in the bottom corner saying: SCREEN FORMAT: FULL. This pops up for 3 seconds then goes away for a random time around 3-5 mins then pops up again. As you can't change the screen format at all in 3D mode this is highly annoying. (Works fine on 2D Bluray)

3. TV Guide lockups: Navigating through the menus can lockup the unit. Only holding down the power button on the remote reboots the SONY OS.

These seemed fine with the old firmware. What happened?

Any fixes for this would be good. Have tried turning off Auto update on the Digital TV menu so that it doesn't try to look for new TV signals (If that what its for). 

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

Just Noticed that my 3D pop up is included in thte Main BUGS post at the top.

At least its being looked at.

The other Digital TV issie is still current though and not on the list. I did see another SONY user with the same issue so maybe I a not alone.

Perhaps add this to the list Also?

Cheers 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @TheRookieUK

Sorry no one has responded sooner, unfortunately there has been may posts on the community and your issues have been forgotten about.

Anyhow, Ill attempt to answer your questions

1. The issue with missing channels is basically to do with your aerial and reception.  To resolve this perminantly you may want to consider an aerial technician to adjust your aerial.  However before you do so, as it is Autumn, leaves clogging up the aerial or something blocking it maybe something into.  What is actually happening, is that the TV auto scans the channels each night to pick the strongest signal.  Sometimes at night, depending on various conditions, the strongest signal can be from a different transmitter.  But then that signal is weak in the day time.  Also, goto the following page HERE to see if there are any reported faults on your transmiter.  In the meantime, to stop the TV auto scanning each night, turn OFF Auto Service Updates in the settings of the TV.
  2. This is a known issue, see HERE for more information
  3. Hopefully the introduction of YouView will resolve this, but only if you intend to use YouView and not the Freeview EPG.  However, I cannot see anywhere if you have done a full factory reset.  If not, I would suggest you do so, as this can cure many issues.

I should also mention the following tips:

• Check the Guide to see if there are any channels in the 800 range, as the 'weak' ones will be placed here.
  • Check your aerial lead that connects from the wall to the TV to see if its of good contition
  • Move the HDMI cables as far away from the aerial cable as possible.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TheRookieUK

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for the replies on this and other posts. I work in ICT so know a little about Tech.

I updated last night after checking that nobody had reported any 'Bricking' etc. YouView seems fine and hopefully the signal will now stay on and not disapear after 3-5 days. Have also turned of Auto Service option.

As for the 3D prompt lets hope this is sorted soon.

Thanks Again.