Join now - be part of our community!

Standby Mode - High Power Usage - Sony OLED

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Tippy-
Explorer

Standby Mode - High Power Usage - Sony OLED

Dear Community,

I have been using a power usage meter to check the usage of various appliances that I have. It was surprising that my Sony A8F has a 20W usage on standby and my other smart tv only uses 0.5W.

On one occasion I did catch my Sony OLED going into deep sleep mode,  it stayed there for only a few minutes. In deep sleep mode it was using 0.25W as advertised. Unfortunately  because my television is not staying in deep sleep mode or not entering deep sleep mode, over say a 24 hour period of being 'switched off', my television uses about 40 times more power than my other smart TV when it is also in standby mode. When the Sony OLED is on it uses between 60W and 100W. So even in standby mode at the moment it is using up to one third of the power of being fully on.

I've tried the various ECO modes, removed all HDMI cables and USB connections. These power usage observations were made before I installed a third party app - VLC player.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am not happy with a television that uses as much power in standby mode as for example my laptop uses when fully on. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

See here. Problem has been known for 4 years already. Both, Sony and Google, do not care.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

See here. Problem has been known for 4 years already. Both, Sony and Google, do not care.

profile.country.GB.title
Tippy-
Explorer

Hi Betreff,

Thanks for your reply. 

That would explain why I'm getting the run around from Sony Australia Support.

It also explains why nothing I have tried has helped yet. You seem to have explored the problem comprehensively.

profile.country.DE.title
Zozzle
Explorer

Possible solution if your TV is connected to iPhone/Homekit

Hi, I had exactly the same problem (about 28W constant power consumption in standby) and came up with a simple solution for me:

My TV is connected to my phone via Apple Homekit to use Airplay, etc. When setting up the Homekit/Airplay connection you are asked at one point if you want to allow mobile devices to turn on the TV, you have to decline this. As far as I can tell, this setting is completely separate from the "remote start" option in the TV's settings, which has already been talked about here.

After disabling this setting, my consumption drops from about 28W to 2W about 1-2 minutes after powering down. The only disadvantage is that the TV can no longer be started via iPhone, switch off and Airplay etc. are still possible.

You can also change the setting afterwards like this:

Turn on the TV. On your iPhone, open the "Home" app and navigate to the TV, press and hold on it and in the window that opens, click on the gear icon at the bottom. There is a button called "Show TV settings". If you click on it, you will be asked on the TV for the option as described above and must decline there.

I could imagine that Android users might have a similar problem.

profile.country.GR.title
npapanik

Thats exactly what happens! Thank you for the info. Standby went down to 2W!

You can go directly to Settings->WiFi & Internet->Remote Start and set it to OFF. 

This has nothing to do with Bravia Sync (CEC) so you don't have to worry about your TV not switching ON via Apple TV for example.

IMG_1531.jpg

KD-49XF9005
HT-CT390