Join now - be part of our community!

Tearing my hair out now - Dolby Vision on HDMI3 on AF8

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Tearing my hair out now - Dolby Vision on HDMI3 on AF8

Ok so I had a bit of a nightmare trying to get Dolby Vision up and running on my AF8 TV.

I have a NVidia Shield attached via a Marantz receiver to the TV.

The Shield can output Dolby Vision but I could only get it to work on HDMI 2 input on the TV.

HDMI3 (which is the preferred input due to ARC) was giving me sparkles on screen and picture drop outs.

I even bought a new AV receiver thinking that was the problem.

Anyway - a software upgrade of the TV seemed to fix this and I closed and open ticket I had with Sony.

Tonight - the issue has re-appeared.

Screen is unwatchable using Dolbyvision on HDMI3 - thousands of ‘sparkles’ on screen.

Switch to HDMI 2 and its fine.

I am gutted this has re-appeared as I thought it was resolved. Any clues out there?

Video of whats happening - choose 1080p quality to see it properly https://youtu.be/iM-btPADgHU

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Thanks for the wiring suggestions but I think I have it right.

The AVR has HDMI inputs for lots of external kit, and one HDMI output to the TV. Therefore all the external kit you might use benefits from the sound processing of the AVR.

As it happens, because we also watch normal TV and want that to also output to the AVR, then using HDMI3(ARC) is actually the recommended route.

If I wanted to do input the AVR to HDMI1 or 2 then the best solution is actually to then run an optical cable back to the AVR for TV only sound.

But... I’ve never seen anywhere or wnybody ever recommend not using an ARC enabled hdmi channel for sound and pictures. Its actually the recommended setup in the AVR instructions.

As part of my troubleshooting I thought the AVR might actually be at fault. Its not. I’ve tried bypassing it and the Shield doesnt work on HDMI3 when connected directly. Exactly the same symptoms as when its on passthrough through the AVR.

This is 100% a sony TV fault. Either hardware or more likely software. The fact it disappears on a hard reset of the TV seems to point to some firmware issue when the the TV is only ever put into standby. There is something not resetting properly during a soft off and on with respect to processing the dolbyvision signal from HDMI3.

profile.country.GB.title
JtR1888
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm not doing any more 'workarounds', not least of which my TV is built in and moving hdmi inputs is time consuming and awkward.

Further, the important bit here is 'Ok, I would ideally set it up the way you do too'...

Because thats the way it *should* work. Why would you or I have to do something different?

I had a workaround setup using HDMI2 (which never shows the sparkles) and using an optical cable for TV sound, but I *really*, *REALLY* think that I shouldnt have to do workarounds on a £2,500TV.

HDMI3 is not any less capable of displaying a signal than any other hdmi input. The fact it is the only one with ARC enabled means it is the hdmi *of choice* when connecting an AVR.

Fact is - there is a software bug that means hdmi3 has issues with a Dolbyvision signal.

At the moment the only workaround I need to apply is a hard reboot of the TV every week or so when the dolbyvision sparkles eventually appear. I have a ticket open with Sony to get this resolved.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have you ever tried to connect any other Dolby vision flow to the same port on your TV? A bluray uhd player an apple TV or the like

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Not so far - dont have any other Dolby Enabled external kit.

I replaced all my hdmi cables - I even bought a new AVR thinking that was the problem, before I realised even taking the AVR out of the equation was still showing the problem.

I remain convinced its the TV.

When I do a hard reboot of the TV (holding power off button) the problem clears (at least for a week or so).

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

I'll ask my son to bring down his appleTV at some stage and plug that in.

profile.country.GB.title
JtR1888
Explorer

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

I beg to differ and so would just about every AVR expert I've asked on this. Sony and Marantz also disagree with you.

The spec of hdmi2 and hdmi3 on the Sony AF8 TV is identical, save for ARC being only available on HDMI3. They both have exactly the same video capability.

the *100% correct* way to wire this is -

Shield -> AVR input -> TV HDMI3 (assuming you also want TV audio through the AVR which I do)

The Television ref manual clearly states -

"HDMI IN 3 ARC (Audio Return Channel)Connect your audio system to the HDMI IN 3 to route TV audio to your audio system. An audio system that supports HDMI ARC can send video to the TV, and receive audio from the TV via the same HDMI cable. "

AND just to finalise any more queries on which hdmi port to use - which I wont be responding to because I actually think you're just trolling me now - taking the AVR out of the equation makes no difference. HDMI2 works. HDMI3 works - but only for a week or so of soft boots, then it fails. It can be fixed with a hard reset of the TV.

Thanks for trying, but my TV, Shield and AVR are set up *EXACTLY* as Sony and Marantz suggest. Sorry you seem to think both those manufacturers, all my own experience and all the AVR experts I've discussed this problem with are wrong. No-one, ever, anywhere, has suggested using an ARC enabled hdmi port is for audio only and not to be used for video.

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Well.

Now confirmed as a troll. Reported for inappropriate comment to the mods.

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

If you really want my come back, you're going to have to scrape it off your mums teeth.

Now sit down and shut up, the adults are talking. You're an embarrassment to decent trolls everywhere.