Join now - be part of our community!

Timeshift on KD-55A1

profile.country.CH.title
gab696
New

Timeshift on KD-55A1

Hi,

How it's possible on a high end oled TV that a basic function like timeshift isn't available ? Other brands offer this function on first entry devices...

maybe i've missed something ?

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi ,

I don't own the TV, yet I found that some models don't offer conventional timeshift (meaning "press pause and later start playback from that point).

I don't know if that is the case with the KD-55 A1.

I though found out, that you can start a recording (instead of pressing pause), go to your recordings-list and start the playback from there. The recording will continue in the background.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
finder595
Explorer

I agree gab696.

I was amazed that in 2017 this feature isnt available. I splashed out on a good sized memory stick (64 Gig I think) then disables YouView, as it prevents you from being able to record anything!  You could hardly make it up, but it gets worse. When YouView is disabled you loose some of the catch up TV services (in the UK you loose ITV and Channel 4’s respective players). 

I then had to fork out for an Amazon Fire thingy. The Fire thing does everything I need (Netflix, Amazon obviously, YouTube, all the TV catch up players etc. which essentially makes the Sony fancy interface redundant. 

The TV is now almost just a display panel. Admittedly I use the Freeview decoder for live TV, but even then i’d drop that in a heartbeat for a nice interface with TV pause (timeshift). I know you can effectively TV pause in the way that Nic described and we already do it that way, but it’s cumbersome. 

JochenA
New

Seems to be same with my new TV. Also the timer recording named pvr is _not_ working correct. The Telly have 2 tuners but the screen is black then the recording starts. And can't record 2 simultaneously channels, (without no seeing)... So this parts is not working as espected from the specification. So 

profile.country.DK.title
Pederpedal
Explorer

I have posted the same elswhere: no timeshift and no simultanious recording !

It seems an uncomprehendable policy from Sony/Bravia since there IS two tuners and you CAN watch one and record another.

So no hardware issue, but software...??

Recording options was the reason I bought this TV; the fantastic picture quality does weigh up this lack fore me, but not fore my wife.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Pederpedal You are doing something wrong! The Tv has actually two tuners and CAN record while you are watching another channel without any problem. Try rebooting the TV pressing the off button for long.

As per timeshifting, no the function is not there as already suggested you may start an immediate recording with the red recording button on the remote and than playback via the title listist button while you are recording: it takes 3/4 button press instead than one, if it is so important for you it is feasible.

profile.country.GB.title
finder595
Explorer

Rooob

Thanks for your input, however, I think you are missing the point!

We know there are two tuners and as stated in my previous post, yes recording and time shift can be achieved (albeit it’s a little long winded). However, with YouView activated (the default setting in the UK I believe), neither recording or timeshift can be achieved. 

This issue will never be resolved by Sony while there is an inability to actually recognise the problem. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@finder595 maybe I missed some post :slight_smile:

but regarding Youview (an option that we don't have in Italy) it is as is (youview incompatible with HDD recording) since the very inital launch in 2015... I'm surprised that it is still under discussion...

profile.country.GB.title
hijinx

Sony's frankenstein's monster OS mashed up from Sony, Android TV and Youview software is an absolute joke.

I was really shocked how badly it functions on my new kd49xe9005.

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisCrash
Explorer

It is poor that timeshift is not available on such a high-end TV, when other manufacturers offer it with their basic models.

I also agree with the poor YouView and switch it off for the more practical Freeview Guide.