Join now - be part of our community!

TV constantly resetting

profile.country.IE.title
crusa5
New

TV constantly resetting

My Sony Bravia 65inch OLED TV is constantly resetting . Any ideas on how to fix this

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@crusa5, what's the model number? And what do you mean by resetting? Rebooting? Factory resetting? ETC?

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

I’m guessing your TV is on a constant TV reboot. It’s happening to a lot of consumers over the last few years. 

Sony will tell you to keep resetting the TV but I read on Sony’s own site that it’s likely an issue with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) and my guess is will  probably need a manual fix.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00028327#

Obviously that’s going to cost money so they are not going to accept liability for that. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Fab3rge 

There’s not a word in that link about constant resetting.

I know how HDCP issues manifest themselves, and it’s not by that.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hey, I’m all ears. You got any ideas what could be causing my tv to constantly reboot? 

I notice it happens when I try and change the settings to anything above 1080p. The resolution on my old tv was better than that! This is meant to be a top of the range (at the time) 4K & HDR - it can’t handle it. I know it can play that content because every now and again it’ll actually work! And then it’ll go down, and down, and down again. 

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Hi

is the TV resetting or is it getting stuck in a bootloop?

I had a similar issue, rears its head now and then, when its been on stand by a long time used, i turn it on, itll come on, then reset itself and load up as normal.

When i first bought it i had 3 bootloops where i had to reset the tv to factory settings to get out of it, this seemed to sort itself out after a software upgrade.

Remember this isnt a in house standard tv interface like Tyzen or Vidaa, this is Android, or google, whichever you prefer, its all Android, which itself is an operating system that has to start up, Android is open source and is always going to have the odd bug or flaw, its an OS at the end of the day, And i dont think there will ever be an instance where theres a 100% perfect version of Android, i would try an upgrade if one is available and expand the internal memory which isnt the best, that can be done simply by acquiring a fast usb3 flash drive, connect it to the TVs usb3 port and move all your apps over to it and use it only for the app storage, which is going to free up the tv internal storage memory, i found this helped a lot, its a lot faster, smoother and less prone to slow boot ups and resets with all the apps moved to a usb3 drive, keeping the internal flash freed up.

I dont think you have a major hardware issue, try the housekeeping ideas suggested, upgrades if avail, free up mem etc etc and see how it goes, 95% sure its just software related issues which will settle down.

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

I don’t use apps. The TV is slow and always has been slow. I didn’t buy it for the apps so it doesn’t bother me. What bothers me is the TV isn’t doing what a TV is meant to do! I can’t even get terrestrial TV on this thing but it’s ok as I only want use Apple TV / PS4 anyway. 

I’ll try what you said though, if there’s any bloatware nonsense, I’ll try and force it onto a USB stick/ delete as much as I can. 

The TV has not been designed for future-proofing well at all if it has poor storage. £1200 and it doesn’t even last 6 years (it came out in 2017) I got about 2 years out of it before it started misbehaving, and that’s only because I wasn’t using the TV much before. I bought it ironically as a long term investment. I feel silly that I thought it would last that long! 

This is a clear case of Planned Product Obsolescence - Sony needs people buying more TVs! 

profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

I bought a 65" but deliberatley stayed away from Oleds because of the short life span of screens with the burn issue, its still early days, if i did go Oled id switch to Samsung because they will replace the screen for free if it happens.

I have to admit, id say the first 6 months i had lots of issues, Bootloops i couldnt get out of without a factory reset, it became so annoying, no reason for it, tv would be fine when i went to bed, get up the next day and wham, tv is stuck in a bootloop when i turned it on, i assumed it was the firmware, i read a post on a forum about another person with a diff brand whos updates were taking place automatically through the night when he was in bed which resulted in similar issues, i immediatley disabled auto updates and when the next one was released for mine i decided to update it manually via a usb flash drive and this did indeed seem to solve the issue, hasnt done it since, so from that i can assumje it was either bugged firmware that was on the tv and the update solved it, or the way i updated the tv solved it.

It could well be that the firmware on your tv is bugged, but i do still think some housekeeping may help, remove any bloat youll never use etc.

Good luck i hope you manage to resolve it.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hey @Fab3rge @graygerman

If you can provide the exact model for your TVs to check for software updates as some just got released for some TVs

@Fab3rge and does "constantly resetting" mean that the TV is stuck in a reboot loop at the start or it randomly restarts for a few times during the day?

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hi all,

I found a compromise! (I think)

My TV is not fixed, but for now I have worked out how to stop it resetting. And saved me from going totally crazy.

Turns out that despite being advertised as capable, my Sony KD-49XE9005 cannot process HDR without freaking out and resetting. I tweaked my Apple TV/ PS4 Pro settings to display only 4K SDR and (for an hour anyway) no tantrums (from the TV and from me!)

It is a major disappointment as this is one of the reasons I chose this TV over the cheaper alternatives at the time.

The display is decent when playing non-HDR content (older movies/ TV shows/ animation) but HDR makes a massive difference when playing computer games and watching modern action movies (with SFX), 

What really cheeses me off is the TV accepts the higher (HDR) settings when you ask for best possible resolution - and then it crashes! You can't adjust the settings back as the TV just keeps rebooting!! It is maddening!

Why do Sony not just put a limiter on the TV software to disable the option for HDR content? 

I do not think I am completely out of the woods yet as the TV has crashed at random times without a HDMI cable attached in the past (including during a factory reset, when there really should not be anything really triggering a reaction). Also, the resolution on the wallpapers is 1000% times better than anything the TV displays when watching a show. So yeah, I do think there is still something seriously else up with this thing and I would not be surprised if it crashes again tonight. 

I will still be looking for a new TV, and I will be looking for an alternative brand as Sony Support do not help at all.