Join now - be part of our community!

TV KDL-40WE663 - MOBILE PHONE MIRRORING/CASTING ONLY WORKS WITH PHONE'S YOUTUBE APP

a_r_kane
New

TV KDL-40WE663 - MOBILE PHONE MIRRORING/CASTING ONLY WORKS WITH PHONE'S YOUTUBE APP

The TV KDL-40WE663 only casts my Blackberry's YouTube Android app. 

If I try Screen Mirroring via the TV's menu and select CAST on the android phone menu, the TV sees the Blackberry and vice-versa but registration consistently fails. I thus can't 'cast' via the mobile phone other than YouTube app which has its own casting option and which works fine but exclusively for YouTube on the phoe.

I have tried all other troubleshooting (updated TV software, removed peripherals, etc.) and even went as far as resetting the phone to factory settings. Same result.

SONY's repair licensee said this is a common complaint which is software based but SONY seem to be in denial. I suppose the casting software on the TV is only compatible with SONY Experia phones and perhaps other mobile phone devices. 

Any other similar experiences and any suggestions perhaps? 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @a_r_kane and welome to the Community :slight_smile:

It doesn't sound like there's an easy fix but I wonder

if you can workaround it by installing / using other apps on your mobile that

have their own cast buttons too, e.g. BT Sport, Netflix, VLC media player.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

WiFi Direct and Miracast are dead technologies in my opinion which have been superseded by Chromecast and AirPlay. Don't expect too much.

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

Bottom line is fella, like many of us on here we've brought a ***** TV which doesn't perform as one would expect.

Oh on so many levels ....casting is just the start of it, try playing mp4 video files.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I know. I wrote an extensive review about it which you can find here. Bottom line is that you are probably better off with some external box.

Concerning screen mirroring on Android, you should install the Google Home app. You can use Chromecast to mirror the screen then, see here.

[EDIT]

I just realized that the mentioned 40WE663 isn't even an Android TV. So Chromecast is no option.

try playing mp4 video files.

MP4 is only a container. What's inside matters much more. Also depends a lot on the used player. Try Kodi.