Join now - be part of our community!

Using a NOW smartstick

profile.country.GB.title
Charles236981
New

Using a NOW smartstick

I have  connected a NOW Smartstick to my Sony Bravia SmartTV but cannot work out which and of the remote handsets to use to switch the TV off or on. Both seem to do this but with confusing results. My TV comes on and I am unable to get to access to wi-fi links, or the TV channel keeps disappearing  and sometimes I just get a Now image that does nothing! It can all work but is mystifying. Can anyone help please? 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @Charles236981, welcome to the Community.

I'm not quite clear what the problem is exactly, but in general you should use the TV remote to switch the TV on and off. The Smartstick controller should be used for just that: controlling the Smartstick. 

Does that not work?

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Cut the power to the Smartstick so you know it’s off.

Switch the TV off.

Restore the power to the Smartstick. Does the TV turn on?

If not, turn on the Smartstick from its remote. Does the TV now turn on?

If it has turned on, on either of the last two steps, then it has used CEC (BRAVIA Sync) to do this, and it will have switched to whichever HDMI input the Smartstick is plugged into.

You can now control its range of features with the Smartstick remote.

If you want your broadcast channels back, press TV on the Sony remote.

If the TV didn’t turn on in any of the above, though, turn it on with the Sony remote. It will be set to show broadcast channels. And if you want to see what’s on the Smartstick, you will have to use the Sony remote to choose the HDMI channel that the Smartstick is plugged into, and then use the Smartstick remote to control the NowTV range of features.

Note that if you did get CEC above, then the Sony remote will attempt to be the Smartstick remote for as long as you are watching NowTV, but it can probably only do some of the things the Smartstick remote can do, and this will be confusing as to what it can and can’t do.

Therefore use each of the two remotes only as described above, to avoid this confusion, at least to begin with.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Charles236981
New

Thanks to all for your help.

I have just discovered that in the NOW smartstick guide that some TV makes do not

fully support smartstick usage and SONY is one of these. Perhaps trying to sync the stick

has confused it because it also has a TV control volume plus on and off!

I have a Bravia KDL26EX553 and wonder if anyone else has encountered problems.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Charles236981 wrote:

Thanks to all for your help.

I have just discovered that in the NOW smartstick guide that some TV makes do not

fully support smartstick usage and SONY is one of these. Perhaps trying to sync the stick

has confused it because it also has a TV control volume plus on and off!

I have a Bravia KDL26EX553 and wonder if anyone else has encountered problems.

That’s not an Android TV, which this area of the Community is about.

Try asking again under TV & Home Cinema/Other TVs.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking