Join now - be part of our community!

TV remotes not working

profile.country.GB.title
andygin
Explorer

TV remotes not working

I have a Sony TV model KD55X8509C. 

It came with 2 remote controls, one touch pad and a normal remote - I have had nothing but trouble with both TV and both remotes. 

Yesterday the touch pad remote stopped working (again) (there is no problem with batteries!!) 

So I decided to use the standard remote instead - it's a pain, but at least I could switch on the Tv and change the volume. 

Now neither is working and I have to use the limitted buttons on the back of the TV. 

I have tried to unpair the touch pad remote but when I go through the process I can't get the red light to come on at the back. 

I don't understand why neither works now having both worked 2 days ago!! 

HELP! 

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Put fresh batteries in the main remote and see - it worked for me not long ago.

If that fails, you could try factory resetting the TV - Instructions HERE

Or you could try this potential solution: HERE

If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download a remote control app to do these functions.  Its called "Video & TV Sideview : Remote".  Android version HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
andygin
Explorer

Sorry, I've not had a chance to try these yet. Instead I am using the app, but that means everyone else struggles when I'm not there. 

What a ridiculous situation that I have to spend my time solving this while Sony do nothing. Sony used to to be a brand associated with quality, now it's just rubbish like verything else. 

2 remote controls supplied to control the TV, both not working. Terrible! 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@andygin Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the batteries? If you're using the ones supplied with the TV be aware that they usually last between half a day and a week (unless someone is lucky, maybe).

Anyway, the fastest way to see if they are the battery is to go into Settings/Bluetooth and click on the icon(s) showing a microphone (something like "Sony TV RC MIC 001"). That shows the battery level in the remote. If it shows 100% that is fake. Press the "Voice Search" button in the remote to establish a BlueTooth connection and try again. In my experience below 50% they start to be a bit unresponsive. Under 30% it's better to change them.

profile.country.GB.title
andygin
Explorer

As I said in my original message IT IS NOT THE BATTERIES!!! I am not a complete idiot - I have changed them countless times in BOTH remote controls and NEITHER is working. 

The only think I can get to work is the App. Another hour of my time wasted... 

It would make sense if one wasn't workking, but both? 

profile.country.GB.title
andygin
Explorer

Now I have done a factory reset and I'm stuck on a screen asking me to touch the touch remote and it's not working. 

Brilliant. 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @andygin

Try an external USB keyboard. Might bypass with ENTER key and arrows

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

andygin wrote:

As I said in my original message IT IS NOT THE BATTERIES!!! I am not a complete idiot - I have changed them countless times in BOTH remote controls and NEITHER is working. 

I do apologise, it wasn't my intention to threat you as such. You didn't really speacify that you changed batteries many times, and I just thought that maybe you had been unlucky with the batteries, so I gave the procedure to check the battery level.

Regarding that bigger issue you have now, you may try to download "Android TV" for Android/iOS. It's a virtual TV remote app. Actually I am suprised that immediately after the reset to factory settings it didn't instruct you to install it. It's quite straightforward. At least in Android the procedure also signs you into your WiFi (if the TV isn't wired) and into your Google account.

profile.country.GB.title
Sleater
Explorer

BRAVIA KD55X8509C i have same problems with both remote aswell i done it everything (changing bateria,back to factory reset,)  by the way i was worst choice to get this tv from day one.

profile.country.GB.title
andygin
Explorer

I have spoken to Sony and they told me I need to buy a new remote because I am just out of warrantee. 

I've had nothing but trouble with both remotes since I bought the TV. If you are having problems I suggest you report the issue to Sony customer services asap, otherwise you'll end up in the same situation as me!