Join now - be part of our community!

Audio Dropout- Dolby Digital

loudand
Explorer

Audio Dropout- Dolby Digital

Sony KD-55X8509C

Firmware- V3.47 (Latest)

I am experiencing audio dropouts intermittently when using a Dolby Digital signal on the digital optical port to a Sonos Playbar. The audio drops for a second or 2 then comes back.

I have proved it is the TV by doing the following: Connecting the Playbar directly to Sky Q Silver box and 2 x blu ray players and I experience no drop out at all. I have also tried multiple different optical cables. When any of the devices pass through the TV the dropout occurs.

Sonos have confirmed that this is case from the diagnostic reports I have sent them.

I know I can use the PCM setting which alleviates the issue however I shouldn’t have to do that and I want to use Dolby Digital as my Sonos setup sounds much better.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Thanks

Andy

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not sure on how much I can help on this to be honest.  But a couple of setting adjustments on the TV, just to test?

• In the advanced sound settings, set Dolby Dynamic Range to Standard.  If it is already standard, try compressed
  • In the Digital Audio Out settings have you tested using Auto 1 or Auto ?

Cheers

Jaybee17
New

Andy,

I have a similar set up with the same Sony TV and I am experiencing similar dropouts. For me these occur every hour at around 29mins past the hour (although they do occassionally change time). 

I had tried to plug my Sonos directly into my BT TV though and still experienced dropouts. I will try plugging it into my bluray player instead. If you find a fix keep it posted. 

Regards 

Jonny 

loudand
Explorer

Hi Jonny,

I seem to be getting them quite frequently now. I have connected the Sonos Playbar to the Sky Q box directly and it does eliminate the issue however it’s not a long term solution for me as my Sky Q box is in a comms cupboard on the first floor of the house.

I’ve raised it as a support call to Sony as it most definitely the TV as I have proved it with other devices connected to the play bar  and Sonos have confirmed they can see the drop outs only occurring when connected to the TV from the diagnostics reports.

Hopefully Sony can sort it out otherwise I’ll have to change the TV unfortunately.

loudand
Explorer

Hi,

I have tried auto and auto 1 settings however i havent tried the dynamic range setting. I'll check that tonight.

Thanks

Jaybee17
New

Do you get them multiple times within the hour? As mine are every hour currently at 29mins past the hour. Therefore I believe it's something that is updating or trying to update.

Very frustrating!!

profile.country.GB.title
Wizzie
Explorer

I have the 65x9000c plus sonos playbar with exactly the same problem. The only way i have found to eliminate the sound drop out is set the audio output to PCM. Not ideal! I have also experienced the 4k picture juddering issue and this has still not been resolved with the latest firmware release. My drop outs are random and seem to be worse with the sky sports channels

Don't have the problem with amazon prime as it only streams in stereo, has anyone got netflix, via the tv,  broadcasting in 5.1 working without ausio dropouts?

profile.country.GB.title
gaz_di
Explorer

I have the same problem, just changed from a Sony Bravia 42W805 to a 55SD8055, I have a sonos playbar + sub + surrounds, on the old Bravia had 5.1 through Netflix without a problem, on the new one however I get frequent dropouts, switching to stereo stops the dropouts but part of the reason I bought the Sony was that I want the 5.1 and it did work fine on my old TV, anyone have any ideas on this or have got theirs to work as it should?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

This appears to be a Sonos issue as far as I can tell.  Having a search on their forums indicates that this is a known issue due to others having the same problem across other TV manufacturers.

See:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/playbar-audio-drops-out-5830111/

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-dropout-6730761

This particular post from a Sonos staff member:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/audio-dropout-6730761?postid=16011306

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
gaz_di
Explorer

I do not believe so as I have had a different Bravia for 3 years in which the 5.1 works perfectly with Netflix, after a few hours of trying different settings on the new TV I switched back to the old set and did not experience one dropout in several hours, the only thing that had changed was the TV, old - perfect, new - many dropouts, The same thing happened on Amazon with the new TV, I tried this on the old one but that only output stereo which I assume is down to the old app on the old TV