Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Android 7.0 - WiFi connection drastically dropping bandwidth

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Android 7.0 - WiFi connection drastically dropping bandwidth

I've got an issue with the WiFi connection. After few days the Internet bandwidth drops from 85Mbps to 10-15Mbps. I noticed it because the YouTube videos go into buffering for few seconds. It happened already few times, so it is a pretty constant issue. Switching the WiFi off and on doesn't solve the issue. The only way I've found to get the full badnwidth back is to reboot the television. Quite annoying.

PS: @Anonymous any chance this can be reported to Sony?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Since Quinnicus is having some well deserved holidays I'm going to pick this up and report it to our technicans.

How did you measure the connection speed of your WiFi (which app did you use?)

Edit: Have you tried to use a different WiFi channel?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers
Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Hi @Peter_S.,

I test the connection speed in fast.com (the site from netflix. It's pretty accurate). Also with speedtest.net beta. Same results before/after rebooting.

I forgot to add that checking with AIDA64 when the issue is present it actually shows that the 5GHz ac connection (other thing that I forgot to mention) is established at around 180Mbps. I checked in a couple of occasions. Which is ok. My MacBook Pro usually gets something more than that (now the MacBook connection is indeed at 264Mbps), so it doesn't seem to be an issue in the channel either, something like in the WIFi module or TCP/IP stack slows down drastically.

Hmm.. I am checking it now just after a reboot and it still shows 180Mbps. I hope that isn't the maximum WiFi bandwidth. But anyway, the laptop is sitting near the television, and the bandwidth with it is always fine. So it is with my mobile phone. Obviously they all are in the same channel.

I don't know, it never happened in 6.0.1. Also connecting it wired (during the issue) the bandwidth I think goes up again, to drop switching back to wifi. Actually it's better if I check this again, because I am not really sure anymore.

PS: it's a 49XD8099. I just realised I forgot so many details in my first post! Sorry.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi Jecht_Sin,

No worries - meanwhile I discovered your model :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for sharing the additional details, I'm going to forward this issue to our engineers for further investigations.

Edit: One thing that came to my mind: On what channel your WiFi is operating? Above channel 12?
If so please try to lower the channel.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is 5GHz AC. Of course it is > CH12...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

yeah, as Kuschelmonscher said. :slight_smile:

Also I have set the automtic channell in the router, so to know which channel exactly I have to wait for it to happen again. Right now is channel 100, but setting the channel manualy in the router I have only the channels 36, 40, 44, 48 and I don't like it.

Again, as I wrote, when it happens my laptop is on the same channel and it never has an issue.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Ouch - appologies, I missed this information :confounded:

I've sent the issue to our technicans for further investigation but haven't heard back yet.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

All right, thanks. If/when it will happen again (as long as I don't restart the television it should happen) I will investigate a bit further. I want to confirm that it works normally when wired. Then I may check the logcat a bit, although I doubt it will reveal any useful info. Also I want to monitor if locally (in the LAN) I get maximum local bandwidth, but I doubt that as well.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It happened again, but this time I first tried closing all apps from the app history (holding the Home button). And the bandwidth went back to nearly normal (50-60Mbps instead of 70-75Mbps). I noticed that among the open apps there were Plex and Video (I used the latter to stream a couple of videos via DLNA from the Plex server). And I don't know if it is related, the HueyModule crashed again. It didn't in the previous days, and I didn't stream any local video via either Plex or DLNA either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finding out further info.  BTW, I saw your @ to me previously, I forwarded the email onto Peter_S at the time :slight_smile: