Join now - be part of our community!

Uneven surface appearance on KD55A1

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Uneven surface appearance on KD55A1

Hi,

I'm actually now on my second KD55A1 courtesy of John Lewis' exemplary customer service due to visble dimples in the screen.

The first TV that I received had a very visble dimple just smaller than a tennis ball on the screen that clearly distorted reflections when caught in the screen.  When I spoke to John Lewis about it they just agreed to replace the TV with no quibbles.

I took delivery of the replacement TV yesterday and this actually has 2 dimples in it and when you look at the top of the frame around the TV you can see that it doesn't actually run true and appears to wave somewhat.

Is this just a characteristic of OLED panels or a manufacturing flaw? There is no distortion on the actual picture itself.

Nothing comes up when I google it and nor have I ever heard it mentioned during the numerous review articles and videos that I have encountered.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to try and speak to Sony UK about it this afternoon so will see what they say.

Cheers,

Ben.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Good luck with the replacement.

I have my 2nd replacement boomed in for next Thursday so I will update this thread once it's arrived.

profile.country.GB.title
OLEDisAmazing
Explorer

Hi Yorkie

any verdict on this? I have exactly the same thing (2 dimples top middle of screen on brand new kd55a1 - I've sent in a video to Sony to see what they think

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Hiya,

All I ever got back from Sony was that it had been caused by damage at some point but they were unwilling to comment any further.

I've got a second replacement arriving on Thursday from John Lewis, being installed by them this time, so I'll be able to provide an update then.

Your two dimples sound exactly the same as mine.  On my box, on a label, it stated that it was from a June batch. Are you able to check yours? The replacement due on Thursday is from a July batch.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

I've just received my 3rd TV from John Lewis which is from a July batch and this is exactly the same as my 2nd, with the 2 dimples in the middle towards the top of the TV!

Feeling quite fed up with it now to be honest.  Another call to Sony I think as this can't be an issue being caused through damage.

Anyone else received a replacement yet?

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
OLEDisAmazing
Explorer

I haven't actually asked for a replacement as the picture on the TV is faultless (not to mention stunning - I absolutely love it) 

i wonder if if the undulations are on the other side of the glass and are something to do with the speakers. I can't see anything other than flat glass if I look close up from the side etc

I've also been looking at other screens (my phone and other tv) and both have non-perfect reflections but perfect picture

What is annoying is how slow and laggy the OS is - flipping about from youview to other services, hopefully will be fixed with updates

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Perhaps it is just a characteristic of the screen..... I would have accepted that if that's what Sony would have told me but the fact that they said that it had been caused by damage meant that I took the matter further.

I agree that it's an amazing picture but the TV is let down a little by the Android OS.  As I use SkyQ I don't have to use the OS functionality that much but I must admit that the Netflix app is less than reliable and often crashes or starts playing things without any audio.

I think I'm just going to have to accept the dimples but might raise it with Sony again and see what they say, if only to ensure that they don't continue to inform other customers that the warping/dimples are being caused by damage.

profile.country.GB.title
OLEDisAmazing
Explorer

How did you get on?

the more I think about it, the more i don't really accept it can be a characteristic of a screen to not be flat

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Well, I've just heard back from Sony and technical support have confirmed that it IS a characteristic of the screen due to the manufacturing process of the TV.

I've registered my dissatisfaction with the fact that they didn't give me that answer 2 weeks ago when I originally raised my case and have therefore subsequently had the TV replaced.

They have escalated this for me and said that the will contact me tomorrow about whether I can claim any compensation.

Just out of interest do you have your TV wall mounted?

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Dpedraza
Explorer

I bought the TV and I have no uneven surface, what I had was a ghost rectangle just in the middle from top to bottom , this was noticeable when the first software update was being done, first I tought the screen was damaged but the TV has a software utility to refresh all the pixeles, did that overnight and this thing dissappeared luckily.

What I am experiencing now is a freaking slow load of content on the Netflix app of the Android software built in. And this is not a speed issue of the Internet connection, I have 500 Mbps Download/Upload. I have tried this with a Roku and works flawlessly. But well I will start other thread with this issue. Just wanted to share my experience.

Cheers.

Jbmclachlan
Explorer

I received the 55A1 this evening and as soon as I turned it on I could see an issue with the panel.

Right hand side .. doesn’t look good!Right hand side .. doesn’t look good!

Fortunately John Lewis already have another on the way but a little disappointed I have to say.  It sounds a slightly different issue but just throwing it out there to share issues

Jon