Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@kinggo01,

why do you need to write so much data? What are your use-cases?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

I don't need to write so much. Actually I can live with those 8GB just fine. But TV was advertised with expandable storage and now when it's finally here it doesn't work reliably. I formated another stick so now I have two of them in ports 2 and 3. The other one is empy, I didn't migrate anything there but will see if it will be visible in morning.

As writing in general, anywhere on the disk, that I DO need very much.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

As writing in general, anywhere on the disk, that I DO need very much.

May I ask what you are writing? Maybe some examples?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Well, Kodi can't write outside of its own folder. So subtitles go to .temp and the only way for me to move them is to transfer them to my NAS and then later on to the right folder when the disk is plugged into my PC.

Also, without writing there's no way to delete anything. My TV is a lot less smart ATM.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

And this morning both of them were gone.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am only using removable storage. Haven't lost it so far.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Yeah, removable is fine. As long as you don't try to grant USB access in file manager and that it's not writable. But formatted as internal is 100% broken.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

And 3 hours later, again.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have just asked about this in the italian forum. Are you guys talking about the "extendable" internal memory via SD card, as described as "Internal Mode" in this reddit posrt: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3oz7eu/guidelines_for_marshmallow_users_formatting/ ?

Because I wanted to buy a fast 128GB USB 3.0 key (this one, which has got good technical reviews: Patriot Memory PEF128GSR2USB Supersonic Rage 2)

and use it to expand the Internal memory, either for installing more apps (games and stuff) but also for movies and other stuff. Is that broken as well (like the option to write in the normal external SD card to be clear)?

Also, what about Kodi? Does it absolutely require an external SD card? Or can it write data in the internal /sdcard instead? I didn't have many oppurtunities to test, because whatever I tried was broken (even my 64GB SD card, that decided to go banana after taking it out of my old mobile phone).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Ah, I thought removable storage was also disappearing for you.

I will also try to adopt storage and see whether same happens. I also had the feeling that it is quite flaky.