Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

My hard drive has survived a whole day, 😂 I didn't migrate all data to the external, just a couple of apps and they are still there. Although it's quite hard to tell because since that alexa setup app appeared in my app menu, my apps keep rearranging everytime I press the home button. I like to order the apps myself but this feature no longer seems to work. Anybody else experiencing this? 

I noticed something else thats a bit strange today, I plugged in a 1tb hard drive and formatted it as internal storage but I only got 252gbs of space. I tried another 1tb hard drive and that was the same too. 

Sony were supposed to call me today but it never happened. 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

So my external drive was still connected today, thought everything was going well so decided to migrate some more apps across.  Unfortunately, and even though I have 128gb san disk plugged in, my TV told me there wasn't enough space to transfer data. Drive was now in a read only state. I reset the tv and once it turned back on, my drive had been safely ejected and the couple of apps I had copied across were now missing 😂 😂 😂 😂 it is literally impossible to get anything to work correctly on this TV!! 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

I might have a workaround for you. I actually stumbled across this when trying to do something else. If you enable ip control on your tv, your tv will never go into that deep sleep mode and hence, your hard drive shouldn't become unmounted with a bit of luck. Since enabling ip control on my TV, I have noticed that when ever I turn it on now, it's at the exact point I was at when I switched it off. Here's a youtube video showing how to do this. There is quite a bit of information on there but most of it is to do with setting up the tv, so that it can be controlled with a Google home. The only bit you need to worry about is enabling pro mode and then enabling ip control. I hope this works for you

https://youtu.be/axj45IBkISg

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

If a TV permanently drawing 20-30W is a solution to you...

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Yes, I agree, that is the downside

profile.country.US.title
Kingbusa
Explorer

Same issue here. I have a Sony XBR65X930E. I've tried a bunch of different drives from 8gig to 128gig and i always get the smae message from the tv. "Couldn't format drive. I'm running out of memory on my tv and had to delete certain apps as the tv was running very sluggish,

Ihave other issues with this tv also, Tv restarts byitself and i need to unplug it from th power in order for the tv to work. This happens almost weekly, to the point that i had to install a power bar behind the tv as it's wall mounted making it difficult to unplug it. This is by far the most expensive tv i've ever purchased and by far the worst experience i've ever had with a Sony Product " I purchased it when it was first released by Sony" FYI, this is a replacement as the first one died after 2 weeks of use. Ah, did i mention that Sony's support is useless and the worst costumer support i've ever dealt with?

I'm hoping for a resolution but considering this problem has been going on for over two years i don't believe they will fix it. This will be my last SONY purchase ever.

profile.country.US.title
Kingbusa
Explorer

Well, just after i finished typing the post above  i found an old maxwell 8 Gig usb drive and it worked. Tv formatted the stick and i was to migrate the apps successfully. I'm wondering if the android software has issues with bigger drives? I know that for updating the tv via usb you need a usb drive 4gigs or less in size. I wonder if the issue has to do with the size of the drives?

profile.country.US.title
Kingbusa
Explorer

Well, just after i finished typing the post above  i found an old maxwell 8 Gig usb drive and it worked. Tv formatted the stick and i was to migrate the apps successfully. I'm wondering if the android software has issues with bigger drives? I know that for updating the tv via usb you need a usb drive 4gigs or less in size. I wonder if the issue has to do with the size of the drives?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kingbusa wrote:

I know that for updating the tv via usb you need a usb drive 4gigs or less in size. I wonder if the issue has to do with the size of the drives?

That's just not true. I recently used 64GB drive on ATV1 platform for update and there were no problems with it.

The same drive was disappearing when formatted as internal storage. That function is just broken, it does not work on XG95 also. At least not with that drive on oreo.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

This is not the problem we are experiencing.

I can format any drive I want and as such have tested 11 different hard drives/USB sticks. All of them formatted correctly and I was able to migrate all data to them. The issue is that when the tv enters deep sleep mode over night, the following morning the hard drive, along with all installed apps have disappeared.