Join now - be part of our community!

USB HDD Missing from Discover menu

SOLVED
profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

USB HDD Missing from Discover menu

Hello,

I have an 55XE8505 TV.

I use a 500GB External HDD, and it is registered for recording, but of course, there are many videos on it.

When I choose the video app, it can browse the contents of the HDD, but the videos section does not appear in the discover menu.

Recorder title list appears.

I chechked the settings of the discover menu, and the Videos is checked, of course.

Is it a standard behavior, or can it be solved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

Finally, I figured out the reason, and the solution.

Because I did a factory reset on my TV, all the permission settings were reverted back to default settings, and the discover menu had no permission to read the external storages.

My external HDD is also used for recording, I think, the TV (and the Android) does not handle this device as a regular external storage. This could be the reason, why the droid does not asks for permissions.

When I plugged an USB stick to the TV, the Android asked to grant permissions to read external storage, and after that, the Discover menu can list my HDD also...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

How did you put other videos in an HDD that is set for recording? Normally it should contains only TV recordings and it is formatted before configuring....

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

I don't remember exactly.

After the TV initialized the HDD, I tried to resize the partition, and add an other partition to it.

Somehow, it turned out, that the HDD is initialized with GPT partition table (instead of the regular MBR), and formatted to NTFS file system by the TV.

Now, I have a pvr folder, which holds the recored tv programmes.

profile.country.HU.title
vlevi70

Finally, I figured out the reason, and the solution.

Because I did a factory reset on my TV, all the permission settings were reverted back to default settings, and the discover menu had no permission to read the external storages.

My external HDD is also used for recording, I think, the TV (and the Android) does not handle this device as a regular external storage. This could be the reason, why the droid does not asks for permissions.

When I plugged an USB stick to the TV, the Android asked to grant permissions to read external storage, and after that, the Discover menu can list my HDD also...