Join now - be part of our community!

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

I've added a comment to the FAQ's on USB recording as someone over there has mentioned this problem, but I feel that this warrants a thread of its own.

Having got to grips with how to record onto a USB drive I am finding that the replayed images are very slightly and subtley jerky. What might be a smooth zoom in and out, or a pan left to right on the original broadcast is replayed as if there is a random dropped frame every few 10's of milliseconds. It is subtle but hugely annoying and renders the USB record feature useless imo. The problem is identical on recording both HD and SD broadcasts.

There has been another identical report of this on a different model over in the FAQs section with no outcome or resolution. None of the TV settings appear to satisfactorily correct this problem.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Another reply from Sony yesterday bringing us back to 'what drives are you using ?'

HOWEVER, a major breakthough. On my TV I appear to be able to correct the issue.

Firstly, the HDD type doesn't seem to matter in my experiments and I am using a SANDISK 'Ultra Flair 64Gb Flash Drive', which is great because its tiny and has minimal power consumption.

I have found that altering the 'Film Mode' settings in the advanced menu to 'High' fixes the issue. I have tried this on a wide variety of program material including the News24 ticker tape.

1/ Record News24

2/ While still recording go and play back the material (so a severe test because the drive is being written and read from at the same time)

3/ Goto 'Action Menu' and select 'Picture'.

4/ Goto the advanced picture setting menus and select 'Motion'.

5/ Change 'Film Mode' to 'High' while leaving the 'Motionflow' setting as standard.

6/ Press back and observe the ticker tape. After three or four seconds the jerkiness suddenly disappears.

I found that all the settings for 'Film Mode' seem to have zero effect on real time off air TV. Only the 'High' setting seems to fix the USB playback issue.

Also, setting this way you can retain  'Film Mode' as being 'off' for HDMI input. 

Hope this works for anyone having this issue :slight_smile:    

View solution in original post

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Spoiler

I also have the same problem as you know. You may be right in that the tv isn't capable of recording tv without a slight stutter due to the limitations of the tv itself. My brother however also has an Android TV which he says has no stutter at all on usb tv recordings. I'll test his tv with my usb stick over Christmas and post the result later in the week. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Have you tried rebooting the TV (power off pressed untile the tv reboot itself)? The usb recording is done by writing the stream as -is from the antenna to the drive and the TV uses the same process while playing it from the USB than from the live stream so there is no reason (apart a faulty drive) to skip some frame

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I've tried rebooting the tv and factory resetting the tv. Are you saying
your usb tv recordings play with no stutter at all? If so then it may be
that both me and the original poster simply have faulty tvs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:
I've tried rebooting the tv and factory resetting the tv. Are you saying
your usb tv recordings play with no stutter at all? If so then it may be
that both me and the original poster simply have faulty tvs.

Or the USB drive itself, as you mentioned in your previous post.  I would be interested and curious to know your results though, once you test your drive on another TV

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

in the other thread I mentioned that I've tried usb sticks, my passport
drives, Seagate drives, all sorts. They all have stutter on tv recordings
so it's definitely the tv. I also meant to mention that the tv can play
huge Hd and 4k files from a usb stick or wd drive and they play flawlessly.
Anyway thanks for responding quinnicus as you may actually be able to
report the issue to Sony.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

i can only confirm that my own XD83 records and play without any problem both hd (1080i) and sd programs. I'm actually using a 5 years old wd mypassport 500mb hdd 
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Interesting mix of replies here.

I haven't tried a reboot for this but I will, and I will also do it with a drive connected. I do have another drive I can try, an older USB 2:0 one rather than a USB 3:0

I'll be honest, when I first tried manually recording yesterday I did not notice this effect but I did have an issue of not being able to find any timer menus or to be able to set a timer event from the program guide. A reboot brought the menus into view and allowed timer recording from the EPG. So that was one real problem solved but now this has shown up. To me, this all smacks of compatability/software/firmware issues rather than a hardware fault.

It will probably be tomorrow before I can try this because I will have to deregister the HDD on the TV and then move everything from the other older drive to this one.  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

be aware that there is no easy way to copy recording from one drive to another... maybe a cloning tool but it's not guaranteed. and for sure will not work if you deregister the device
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Check this from Sony. Does not report the kind of your issue though

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44709/~/problems-using-your-tv-h...

Try firstly To deregister your hard disk drive, press HOME > System Settings > Recording Set-up > HDD Deregistration.

Then insert to PC delete partition and format to exFAT.

Re-insert to TV and register again HOME > System Settings > Recording Set-up > HDD Registration

I don't know if an unformatted disk can be formatted directly during registration on TV but you can try.