Join now - be part of our community!

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

I've added a comment to the FAQ's on USB recording as someone over there has mentioned this problem, but I feel that this warrants a thread of its own.

Having got to grips with how to record onto a USB drive I am finding that the replayed images are very slightly and subtley jerky. What might be a smooth zoom in and out, or a pan left to right on the original broadcast is replayed as if there is a random dropped frame every few 10's of milliseconds. It is subtle but hugely annoying and renders the USB record feature useless imo. The problem is identical on recording both HD and SD broadcasts.

There has been another identical report of this on a different model over in the FAQs section with no outcome or resolution. None of the TV settings appear to satisfactorily correct this problem.    

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I've now got hdd recordings playing perfectly. On my x8005c I need to set motion smoothing to "smooth"(I hadn't tried this before as the on screen info made it appear as if it was the sane as custom set at 3)

Film mode is auto. 

If motion smoothing is set to smooth on broadcast tv it looks horrible and over processed with lots of tearing in panning shots. But for recordings it makes playback perfect. 

So, I use one input, freeview, for watching live tv and another input, satellite, for tv recordings. That way I didn't have to keep switching the motion smoothing setting. 

It's a workaround of course not a fix but at least it works and I can sell my humax Freesat box. 

Incidentally I'm also using an hdd from a 320gb hard disk taken from an old useless pc and housed in a usb enabled enclosure costing £7.39 on Amazon. So that option works if anyone is interested. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Pleased to hear you are getting somewhere with this.

I found that by using the 'Action Menu' while playing a USB recording back that I could set the options needed for just that source.

profile.country.GB.title
oceansoul1976
New

got this problem as well; turns out it's got something to do with the sound bitrate; how I worked around it ? re-compiled the movie with a new sound - extract the sound in a wav file with a video editor (i used cyberlink power director), and then compile it with the original movie, using mkvtomp4 - uncheck the audio track from the movie and add as secondary track the newly created wav. and...voila, no stuttering :slight_smile: - ask for more info if you need

I have the problem with Kodi and to a lesser extent, VLC playback.  Motion = off and film mode = off has eliminated the problem with VLC and made it virtually unnoticable with Kodi.

Thanks guys for the help.  Noe maybe sony will fix it permanently.