Join now - be part of our community!

Various HDD Recording Problems

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Various HDD Recording Problems

Our KD43XH8505 and KD-49XH9505 bought since last September both exhibit various problems with HDD recordings:

1. TV often has to be reset to show previously recorded programmes and timer list. This seems to occur after setting a programme to record then deleting or modifying the timer.
  2. Programs starting at the same time as a previously recorded programme aren't recorded.
  3. Recorded programmes are often labelled with details of the preceding programme.

The software on both TVs was updated to the latest version in November to fix the random flashing/missing frame issue discussed in https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/missing-frames-on-usb-hdd-playback/td-p/3688952 We use Samsung T5 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSDs for recording on both TVs. I've tried auto-tuning the Freeview channels a few times.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? 

Tags (4)
23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

apart that you are making the same error (android tv is not the same thing as android, and it didn't exist in 2013), but you may be also aware that trim over usb is not woring on most controller. In any case I'm not the right person to talk about Sony and/or Google engineering, I take it for a fact: you have problem with an SSD and SSD is declared as unsupported. Than it may be still a different problem, but it is up to you to demonstrate it.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

To update you as the initiator of the thread Roger, our decision to buy another PVR has so far been a good one. It was difficult to decide which one, as different 'experts' recommended the Humax, Panasonic and Manhattan boxes. We went with the Manhattan and it was very easy to set up, very intuitive in use and really does what a recorder needs to do. The picture quality via the Manhattan is almost but not quite as good as when watching the TV itself. My 'accepted solution' to the problem of HDD recording problems with the Sony Bravia!

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Thank you very much that is useful information, good to know and a solution I will accept.

Because the Manhattan T3-R is a UK design it should be less likely to suffer from the problems I'm experiencing which I'm sure are caused by the way Sony's software handles the UK's EPG rather than the make or model of SSD and HDDs I've tried. If the Sony software is developed and tested elsewhere perhaps their country and their broadcasters handle the EPG more consistently. Nevertheless my 2008 Panasonic recorder has always managed to work without problem.

To be fair to Sony I've found some reports from Humax PVR customers of problems with the UK EPG.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

I'm quite delighted to have earned my first Accepted Solution badge from Sony for acknowledging that to overcome recording problems with their TVs one has to buy a separate device!