Join now - be part of our community!

Various HDD Recording Problems

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Various HDD Recording Problems

Our KD43XH8505 and KD-49XH9505 bought since last September both exhibit various problems with HDD recordings:

1. TV often has to be reset to show previously recorded programmes and timer list. This seems to occur after setting a programme to record then deleting or modifying the timer.
  2. Programs starting at the same time as a previously recorded programme aren't recorded.
  3. Recorded programmes are often labelled with details of the preceding programme.

The software on both TVs was updated to the latest version in November to fix the random flashing/missing frame issue discussed in https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/missing-frames-on-usb-hdd-playback/td-p/3688952 We use Samsung T5 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSDs for recording on both TVs. I've tried auto-tuning the Freeview channels a few times.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? 

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

To update you as the initiator of the thread Roger, our decision to buy another PVR has so far been a good one. It was difficult to decide which one, as different 'experts' recommended the Humax, Panasonic and Manhattan boxes. We went with the Manhattan and it was very easy to set up, very intuitive in use and really does what a recorder needs to do. The picture quality via the Manhattan is almost but not quite as good as when watching the TV itself. My 'accepted solution' to the problem of HDD recording problems with the Sony Bravia!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

I didn't find any mention for these issues on the support page, so If I were you, I would follow the basics first:

-Perform a power cycle by unplugging everything.

-Make sure you're using supported formats ( FAT16/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS ).

-Make sure the TVs are update (Very recent updates has been published on the support page and not available for the automatic update fully yet.

-A factory reset.

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Thank you for your reply HannahEd01. Unfortunately I've already tried all those actions except for the factory reset which I'll leave until I've some more time available.

The problem with recorded programmes being labelled with details of the preceding programme is one that's been reported by several other users between 2011 and 2017: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/wrong-title-on-hdd-timer-recordings/m-p/223838#M5018  In the past Sony have tried to blame the broadcaster but my old Panasonic HDD recorder has never suffered from this problem.

profile.country.GB.title
kay4sony
Explorer

I have a problem recoding BBCs sooner, starting at the end of the previous program  and ending earlier, missing the end. Other channels are fine. Since Sony hasn't found any solution/ updates for years, I have to record it manually to avoid missing the ending. 

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Hi Roger I've just joined the forum with the specific goal of resolving HDD recording problems. Like you we have a KD43XH8505 and bought this model with two tuners so that we could record and watch TV at the same time. We also have a (very old) BT YouView box which we keep going because of the ability to pause and rewind live TV (the most annoying lack in the Sony Bravia). Our problems are probably similar to yours - the recording system on the Bravia is clearly not fit for purpose.

In the run up to Christmas we set up the HDD and scoured the programme guide to set recordings for several programmed. We were delighted that everything worked OK and duly located the recordings. Last night we tried to set another timer but this failed so we looked at the existing recordings list. To our huge frustration there were 0 recordings on the HDD - what we did have was a long list of recording errors (all of the previously recorded programmes as well as several weird ones we had never set timers for!). The errors had various explanations (overlap with other recordings, no signal at the time of recording and several others - none of which had actually occurred at the time of the original recordings). We had no alternative but to delete the recording errors then un-register and re-register the HDD. A trial to record gave us a pop up message that timer was set but no red bar in the programme guide and no recording set up in the list. Finally we turned off the TV and turned it on again (something we have also had to do repeatedly in recent weeks since we lose sound in TV apps and this turn off/on is the only way to restore it. I did find one item on a Sony support page on recordings which said that if any power cable is disconnected during recording the recording (or indeed ALL recordings!) may be lost. Could it be possible that we might have turned off the TV to regain our sound whilst a recording was in progress and thereby lost all our recordings? If so we might just abandon all hopes of using the HDD recording facility.

https://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/ADXM1001/eng/HX72x/ts_tsusbrec.html#ts_24536 

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Hi Kay4Sony
bollinger60 makes the following good points in https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/wrong-title-on-hdd-timer-recordings/td-p/223838
The wrong programme information problem occurs if you use either the EPG or manually set the timer. However, if you set the timer to start 1 minute later than the programme is advertised to begin, the proper title is used, although this might mean occasionally losing a minute of the programme. Programmes frequently begin 1 or 2 minutes later than advertised and not just due to adverts as it also happens on BBC and it isn’t caused by live programmes such as sports. The only programmes that begin exactly as advertised are news.

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Hi Marykin
Sorry to hear that you’re also suffering similar problems but from a purely selfish point of view I’m glad it’s not just me and, of course, the more who complain to Sony the more likely it is they might fix the problems. In the meantime I might be able to offer suggestions which might help with a couple of your issues:
Have you tried Youview to pause and rewind live TV? This is OK except if you want to record another program at the same time.
Rather than unregistering and reregistering the HDD, try resetting the TV by holding down the green power button for 5 seconds. I’ve found that this causes my previously recorded programmes and the set timers to reappear. I think this problem arises after editing a timer or when a series timer is set. I’ve now resorted to setting single event timers which is an annoying retrograde step from the functionality of my old Panasonic HDD recorder.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Thanks for these tips Roger. Our old BT Youview box is not fully reliable and sometimes fails to record but at least it still has all our old recordings and hasn’t deleted them. We are a bit disappointed in the new Sony Bravia to be honest. 

profile.country.GB.title
kay4sony
Explorer

It only happens on BBCs. A wrong title is confusing, but losing at the end of the film is infuriating. And so, I record manually, starting at the right time and add 5 mins extra. If I have something else to record on a commercial station after BBC, I adjust the timing as they have advert at the beginning. If I forget to do it and the program ends prematurely, I have to see it online! 

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Hi Kay4Sony and Marykin

If we all contact Sony support it's possible that together our collective voice might motivate them to include a fix in the next software update. Unfortunately I've found dealing with Sony support to be a tedious and frustrating experience. We could also post on product review websites warnings to prospective customers about the HDD recording problems with Sony Android TVs.

The only other alternative I can think of is to buy a PVR like the Manhattan T3-R or Humax Aura (the user interface on the more affordable Humax FVP-5000T is apparently frustratingly slow).

However, I don't feel inclined to spend £200 to £250 so I think I'll just set single event recordings timed to start one minute after the programme start time and finish 5 minutes after the advertised finish time. Extremely disappointing that this should be necessary on our Sony TVs when much older HDD recorders function better and are much easier to use.