Join now - be part of our community!

Voice search using Sideview on iOS

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

Voice search using Sideview on iOS

Hi,

I have been trying to use voice search with the Sideview app on my iPhone. The TV registers when I press the microphone "button" in the app but doesn't seem to register what I'm saying.

Is this even supported on iOS? I have noticed that the Sideview app haven't requested access to the microphone on my iPhone, so I'm thinking that this feature doesn't work... If not, then it's very misleading that the feature is even in the app...

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I note at the bottom of this article:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33389/~/how-to-use-the-tv-sideview-application-for...

• If the Google® Voice Search is installed on the iphone device, you can also use voice input function.

Can you install this and test?

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I installed the Google app that has Google Voice Search built-in but that didn't make any difference. If I press the microphone "button" in the Sideview app then the same thing happens: The TV registers the press and listens for my command, but never recieves anything.

How is this supposed to work? Why are there no real useable user manual for the TV's or "accessories" like the Sideview app? I'm a technical person and can figure out must of the stuff, but regular people wouldn't have a chance!

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

This is a list of command the TV can recognize. Be sure you have installed the Voice Plugin for TV sideview.

http://androidtv.news/2016/01/guide-running-list-of-voice-commands/

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

I don't think the problem is wrong commands, but simply that the iOS version doesn't have access to the microphone! It hasn't requested access and isn't listed in the iOS settings, so this is never going to work.

Is this an oversight or is voice search not supported on iOS? This would leave us without voice search which is a pitty.

Johny3
Explorer

I am also in search of this problem. None command work for me. Is there any other help available for us. 

Thanks. 

GeraldDemartini
Explorer

I dont think that iOS 7 support the Sudeview Voice search support for the TV device. You should update your iOS or change the device. 

Normis83
Explorer

There might be the problem with the voice recognisation system of your device. I think you need to consult the nearest Apple Store, they might solve your issue.

profile.country.DK.title
refrejn

First of all, I haven't seen any mention of iOS 7 anywhere? I'm using an iPhone 5S running iOS 9.2.1, so it's the latest iOS version.

Secondly then there's absolutely nothing wrong with the iPhone and it's microphone. Siri and other applications that use the microphone works just fine, even Google Voice Search in the Google app.

The problem is that the Sideview app doesn't request access to the microphone so it's never going to work.

Does it work for anyone on iOS? Is it supposed to work? Where's the documentation?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there refrejn

Ive sent a message to Sony to find out the answer.  Once i know it, ill post back.

Cheers