Join now - be part of our community!

Will the KD65ZD9BU be upgraded to 2.1 HDMI?

profile.country.GB.title
Darren980
New

Will the KD65ZD9BU be upgraded to 2.1 HDMI?

I just got a high-end PC gaming rig for the the ZD9 TV. I just wanted to know if  SONY will be  to upgrading  the TV go adaptive frame rate and 4K at 120fps when HDMI 2.1 comes out? I don't know if the MediaTek chipset which the TV uses can be upgraded to that specification or not or if Sony will spend the time to make up a firmware that will have the HDMI 2.1 standard in it?

Any help regarding these questions would be very greatfully. 

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Welcome to the forums.

Congratulations - for being the first person to raise this question :slight_smile:  I was only thinking about this yesterday, of which to ask Sony on their position on HDMI 2.1. 

As far as I believe, HDMI 2.1 is a hardware upgrade not software - however I will be checking this out (in order to create a FAQ on this later on).  I believe 'some' functions such as eARC can be implemented by software (if manufacturer chooses to do so). 

There is a 2.6(ish) increase of available bandwidth to 48Gbps using HDMI 2.1 (up from 18Gbps).  Even though the connectors will be the same and backwards compatible, you will also need new cables.

At this stage, take it as a 'NO' - the ZD9 will not be upgraded to HDMI 2.1 or any other 2017 and before TV.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Darren980
New

Thank you for replying to my message. Its a shame as of now that the the TV won't to getting HDMI 2.1.Just wanted to be over 60fps in gaming on the PC with the ZD9 that's all.

profile.country.IE.title
rknerd93

ZD9 is old and  obsolete only has 4 HDMI 2.0b ports

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@rknerd93  ha scritto:

ZD9 is old and  obsolete only has 4 HDMI 2.0b ports

Like most of any brand new 2020's TV (except some LG's)

profile.country.IE.title
rknerd93

2019 Sony TVs aren't obsolete especially the AG9 and XG950 but 2018 and before.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

obsolete in which respect? And also AG9/XG95 does not support HDMI 2.1 (only eARC is implemented)

profile.country.GB.title
haferguxk

This is still a good tv not everybody can afford to splash out 5k on a tv just to get a better functions ps I have the 65” version