Join now - be part of our community!

X Box One X - HDR not available for gaming

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

X Box One X - HDR not available for gaming

Hi,

I have a Sony KD-55XE8596 4K HDR TV, which, according to the specification supports 4K and HDR up to 60 Hz.  However my X Box One X is telling me that my TV is not capable of HDR for gaming - screenshot below.

I'm using the cable that Microsoft supplied with the X Box, and have made sure that the display is being auto detected.  The boxes for  Allow 50 Hz, Allow 24 Hz, Allow HDR, Allow 4K and Allow YCC 4:2:2 are all ticked, and on the TV, the enhanced format HDMI connection is enabled.

Is there something I'm missing here, or does this TV really not support this?  If so, I'm not happy as I bought it mainly for gaming.  If anyone from Sony could get back to me I'd really appreciate it, or if anyone in the community has a fix, please let me know.

IMG_3667.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @TM_Bullitt,

try another HDMI-port, since to my knowledge some ports are not HDR capable.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

Thanks, but I've tried them all, that's not the issue.  I can get HDR using the Amazon app, but not for gaming.

profile.country.GB.title
Bravestarr
Explorer

Hi, have you enabled enhanced HDMI? If not this is why. But I am here as it still does not display HDR correctly anyway. I was looking to see if anyone has been able to resolve this.

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

Ok, I've resolved this, at least as good as it's going to get for now.  I changed the Video Fidelity setting on the Xbox so the Colour Depth is now 10 bit instead of 12 - I now have green ticks all the way on the screen I posted above.  The TV was losing the signal when I started ESO in HDR, so I turned of the 'Allow YCC 4:2:2' and now it seems ok.  

As you mentioned Bravestarr, I don't think it's totally right, as the slider to adjust HDR brightness on the game doesn't do anything, but it's definately receiving an HDR signal and looks much better.  Maybe firmware updates on both machines in the future will help them talk to each other, but the capability is there so I'm happy(er).

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

Update: 

I've now tried Rise of the Tombraider and it works perfectly, including the slider to change the HDR settings - all looks good.  If anyone wants my settings, let me know and I'll post them as screenshots/photos.

profile.country.GB.title
Bravestarr
Explorer

Maybe it's down to the tv model then, my image is washed out badly on all HDR games. I have had to disable HDR on my tv it's that bad. Now I have vivid setting 4K which looks incredible to be fair.

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

My Tv - KD65X8509C

My opinion is the same as yours .. HDR looks terrible so i also use Vivid. I think hybrid log gamma may fix the issue in the future. But the xbox will need a update to support it.

profile.country.GB.title
TM_Bullitt
Explorer

I'm sorry you guys are still having problems.  After a few days of testing now I can confirm that the issue is resolved for me, and the HDR really looks good.

Out of interest, do you have the HDMI video range set to Autp, Full or Limited?  If it's on Auto or Full, try setting it to Limited as this seems to increase contrast.  I have mine set to Auto, since the TV seems to be interpreting the signal properly, but if yours isn't, this will definately improve a washed out picture.  The setting is in Picture > Advanced Settings > Video Options for me; obviously this may vary with the model, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

That makes no sense to me. You are limiting the dynamic range in the TV settings then activating HDR which is high dynamic range in the x1x settings.. If it looks better thats great but i dont understand how 😛
I looked into this on the x1x internal q&a settings for Picture settings .. Hdr  4k  etc. Found something interesting about 5-6 pages in. It says set your tv colour space to BT2020 on your TV ( Action menu - picture - advanced settings - colour - colour space - Change from auto to BT.2020 ) Tried it myself because i was not happy with HDR set to on and like others i was defaulting my tv to the Vivid setting and turning HDR off on the x1x
Its definately better.. My guess is the TV colour space auto setting is not picking up the x1x HDR setting.

Like you i am itching to experiance great HDR.. been disapointing until now.