Join now - be part of our community!

XE8096 netflix Dolby atmos

profile.country.RO.title
Sandokan85
Explorer

XE8096 netflix Dolby atmos

Hi,

So i bought a Sony Android TV so that i will not get any hustle regarding updates to the newest tehnologies. But it seems that Sony is pushing me to sell the current tv and buy another brand. 

Why isn't my TV updated to recive the netflix Dolby Atmos sound from Netflix? 

I am really disapointed that i have to rely on third party sources of content to have Dolby Atmos from an app.

Is Sony thinking of an updated for the 2017 Android TVS (including XE8096) ?

It would be useful to know if there is any chance to have Netflix with Atmos support in it.

PS:I am not talking about Dolby Vision.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Sandokan85,

Welcome to the Sony Community! I do get your point, in fact I believe that Dolby Atmos support for Netflix will be one of the most spoken topics in this community very soon.

Even though I don’t have a clear definitive answer to your comments. But I do want to mention a few points that hopefully will shed some more light to your post.

As with all new technology introductions it takes a fair amount of research and testing before some solution can enter the public domain. The introduction of Dolby Atmos into consumer electronic devices is only at its initial stages. It will take at least 2 more years before it becomes mainstream and will be available and supported widely across different devices. Obviously there will always be early adopters like yourself which will demand a faster roll-out but as I’m sure you understand there is always also a business side to technology. Success will come when both are aligned with each other.

The good news is that Sony has very good cooperation links over with Netflix and the support for DA is among lots of other areas where both work hard together in order to implement new solutions. I can’t recall exactly where but I do remember reading a report where support for Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos was clearly part of the road map for a range of Sony Android TVs. So again, it surely feels as a disappointment as of now but patience will always pay at the end. There are a few milestones left (Android Oreo) that need to be reached before matters eventually get there.

As with everything let’s together look forward for good news heading our way. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.RO.title
Sandokan85
Explorer

Hi Dutchice,

Thank you for the warm welcome into the comunity.

I have read your response and as i understood i will most probably have to wait 2 years. I have the audio set up in my home. So i do not see any issues in updating the netflix app. As my tv is a 2017 model. All the Sony Android TV from 2018 come standard with the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. I know that Dolby Vision is another thing but for the Dolby Atmos there is no need for any hardware upgrade, so in the end If sony doesn’t allow the upgrade to the app then i didn’choose the right Tv company. 

Do you know of any hardare restrictions regarding the Atmos upgrade?

I would like to know for sure when i will get an answer. Do you know when i will know for sure if the 2017 Android TVs will get or not get the upgrade?

Thank you in advance.

profile.country.GB.title
haxitoc
New

I agree with Sandokan85 as I also have 2017 model XE90 which also doesn't have Dolby Atmos support on Netflix which is purely software limitation as I can play Dolby Atmos demo videos from LAN via built in video player.

It is sad that we must buy some additional TV box with android to have proper audio playback for newest formats like DTS-X and Dolby Atmos with a possibility to change refresh rate to proper movie one which is 24p. Sadly on our Android TV we have a fixed Refresh rate of 60Hz.

To sum up, AndroidTV is a good novelty but surely not for movie enthusiast as its use is so limited which is easily to overcome with some cheap - 60$ boxes which are faster and more versitaile when it comes to configuration for movies.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The introduction of Dolby Atmos into consumer electronic devices is only at its initial stages.

It is just sending another bitstream. Not any different from Dolby Digital. ATV2 based TVs from 2018 can already do it for Netflix as well. It is clearly a software limitation. Sony wants to sell the newer products.

Sadly on our Android TV we have a fixed Refresh rate of 60Hz.

When Motionflow is set up properly, the X1 inside XE90 will do a reverse pulldown and 5:5 on the 120Hz panel. This is still being perceived as stuttery due to low 24p frame rate. Unfortunately frame interpolation does not work on XE90 for apps when the content has black bars, see Motionflow issue.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Sandokan85,

Just wanted to clarify, since I read you misunderstood me on my comments. My personal expectation is that it will take at least 2 more years for Dolby Atmos to be as popular as Dolby Digital is today. What I mean by that is that the day that all cinema theaters, production houses, TV broadcasters, digital content distributors, consumer recording and playback devices implement and support the format is at least 2 years away. However as you mentioned yourself, Sony BRAVIA TV's as of 2018 are already on the forefront of the introduction and we will remain committed in finding ways to enable more and more existing devices to support this format. So that certainly doesn't mean that in your particular case we expect you to wait for 2 years.

There is no reason to view Sony as the one that intends to block, restrict or not allow any features on our products. The idea is simply out of anyone's imagination. I can assure you that day in and day out, the one topic that everyone at Sony speaks about is how can products be enriched and improved despite all challenges (retro fitting features) to enable them to make users just like yourself BE MOVED. The introduction of Dolby Vision and soon Android Oreo to a large series of devices which did not originally hit the market with these shinny new features is the proof of this commitment.

So again as I said before, there are a few milestones left that need to be reached before matters eventually get there. Introducing a feature to the public requires a fairly large amount of collaboration at various different levels with different technology owners, technology developers and technology providers.

As with everything let’s together look forward for good news heading our way soon.

Cheers,

Dutchice