Join now - be part of our community!

Youview and Oreo 8

profile.country.GB.title
pautaylo4
Explorer

Youview and Oreo 8

I have a KD49-XF9005. When I first got it Youview (including catch up) worked fine. Then the tv did an automatic update to the version of Oreo 8 which we now know had problems and the Youview guide was generally populated with "No information available". More recently the tv has updated to the supposedly stable version of Oreo 8, but Youview is still generally populated with "No information available". Is there a cure for this? Surely Sony don't need a third attempt to get the software working properly.

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you tried a complete factory reset?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
pautaylo4
Explorer

No, I haven't done a factory re-set yet as I was hoping to avoid all the inconvenience of having to go through all the settings again. However, it rather looks as if I will have to bite the bullet. Whether I should have to is another matter.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@pautaylo4 

People have been finding their YouView Guide not properly populated on the Android before Oreo, I believe.

Enough is known about the issue to put the ball firmly in Sony’s court - something comes along and corrupts the data or the running program(s) and the YouView Guide-handling code can no longer function.

Sony have not yet announced that the bug is squashed, but a Factory Reset puts things straight until it happens again, which could be minutes later, or weeks later if you are lucky.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
pautaylo4
Explorer

royabrown2,

Thank you for that. In the circumstances I suspect that a factory reset is more trouble than it is worth.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@pautaylo4 

I suspect these TVs are more trouble than they are worth, but you’ve bought it now.

Every time I walk past a Sony Android OLED in John Lewis, and almost fall into the gorgeous picture, I have to remind myself of this forum, and that beauty is only screen deep.

You might want to try Freeview instead of YouView though, as per the instructions for disabling YouView in the FAQ at the top of this Community.

You do lose the itv Hub and All4 if you do this, though we have reports these are not working anyway; but Hoshsadiq is your friend here, or a NowTV Stick, If you can find one.

if you try the Freeview side, but want to come back to YouView, skip the proffered retune on the way back in. It isn’t needed, and thus switching back and forth can be very fast.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
oilcanarry
New

I hope that when Oreo 8 update is finally correct that it allows us to delete altogether that dreadful YouView.

This tv has an excellent picture and connectivity with ancilliary equipment (better than Samsung) but why link up with YouView?

It still has the historical over complicated navigation system.

Why doesn't Sony simplifiy it?

When I worked on the introduction of Channel 5 in 1997 , retuning thousands of tv's if we walked into a house with a Sony there was always an  "Oh no its a Sony! ".

A name nowadays  living on past reputation.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Just turn youview off and sideload the catch up apps (apart from Channel 5 which is on the play store)  Only takes a few minutes

If you do this then add the apps to favourites and re order in apps to your preferences as well

The Sony shelf version of the app is still linked to youview so I have moved sony shelf to the bottom row and dont use it