Join now - be part of our community!

YouView

profile.country.GB.title
Bjdr1975

YouView

Re: Any way to completely disable Youview?

I used to be able to disable Youview, as my wife somehow keeps enabling it when I'm not around and eventually the TV, a KD55 Af 9 packs up altogether. Since the last update and following the correct menus there is now no prompt for Youview disable once Channel Set up is selected. C.an anyone help, Cheers

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bjdr1975 

I don’t know. How formidable is your wife?

But you are saying that the advice in the FAQ (which is no longer sticky):-

Press [Home] button on the remote control
    Go to 'Settings'
    Go to 'Channel Setup'
    Go to 'YouView Setup'
    Select 'Disable YouView'
    Select 'Yes' to confirm

no longer works because YouView Setup no longer exists under Channel Setup?

Or is it that you can see that, but haven’t realised that clicking through a ‘Setup’ option will get you to a ‘Disable’?

After which you may have to protect the Setup menu with a PIN, or buy a new TV just for yourself, as a reverse Lysistrata may be ineffective.

However, I have not seen any other reports that repeatedly enabling YouView breaks peoples’ TVs; how, exactly, does this come about?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Bjdr1975

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you are correct, what I'm saying is that since the last update on my TV( KD 55 9AF) there is no 'YouView set up 'selection when you have brought up 'Channel Set up' So I cannot find the 'YouView set up' selection on any menu.

Maybe broken is a dramatic choice of words, but whenever YouView is enabled I keep getting messages and after time it will not connect to the internet and even after multiple  resets this fails to restore normal service eventually making the TV unusable, so my solution is to disable YouView. BTW this problem also occurred on a previous TV KD55XF 9005 model and I was assured it had all been resolved when I upgraded to this one.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bjdr1975 

I have passed your query on to YouView, where I am a SuperUser, to see what they say, but I am somewhat sceptical that there is a generic problem here, as the inability to get out of YouView would not sit well with a lot of Sony Android customers, especially those trying to use the satellite services.

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7605946/ability-to-disable-youview-reported-lost-on...

And while I don’t think ‘broken’ is too strong a word to describe the progressive lack of function you describe when on the YouView side, leading eventually to the loss of the internet altogether, I’m very puzzled that no-one else, to my knowledge, has ever reported this.

While I am trying to get you an answer, it would be well worth you doing a full factory reset on the TV though, to see if the lost ability to disable YouView is thereby restored.

profile.country.GB.title
Bjdr1975

Thanks very much for your help, it would be nice to have it working properly. As I said before this problem only occurs when YouView is enabled, and the fix for me is to disable YouView and watch the ITV player, the only one which is not available on the TV when disabled, on another device. This was what I was doing with the previous TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Not sure why it's now gone but you could try initial setup rather than full factory reset accepting all Sony and youview terms and conditions.  A couple of others things :-

- if your wife accessed the catch up app like itv through the sony shelf it will re enable youview

- you can watch itv with youview disabled but you'll need to be tech savvy enough to copy somefiles from github Hoshsadiq webpages and install them on your TV. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bjdr1975 

Small correction; All4 is also unavailable, like the itv hub, unless YouView is enabled.

But no doubt the device you watch the itv hub on will also offer All4.

It will be interesting to see if a Factory Reset has any effect on your TV or not.

Hi

I all so am unable to use All4 or ITV hub as both just request I go through the YouView setup procedure

i tried doing this but it fails because we do not have a TV ariel

I have disabled YouView in the channel setup as discribed elsewher but this has not changed my problem

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Can you connect it to an aerial just to go through setup?  Once that's done I understand it works afterwards

profile.country.GB.title
Bjdr1975

I have now found out how to disable YouView following the latest update.

Settings

WatchingTV

Preferences (channels)

YouView set up

Select enable/disable.

This gets rid of annoying messages which get progressively worse, but you will not be able to watch ITV hub or C4 players so you may as well disable Wifi  to avoid all instability . My fix now, is to use other devices which makes the TV a TV only not a smart TV but life is more enjoyable!