Join now - be part of our community!

AX53 moving from PAL to NTSC

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

AX53 moving from PAL to NTSC

I got an FDR-AX53 camcorder. A type 50i for PAL, thats typed on the bottom. Is there any way to make it 60i NTSC ? Maybe with US firmware or something ? I use NTSC things and 30p would be very important, but I have only 25p or 50p.

Thanks.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
wolf-hg
New

It can be done with this tool:

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak

Just be sure to have the camera already set to 24p mode (important!) or else it has no effect. Also, do not reset the camcorder or you will have to use the tweak again.

Your warranty will most likely be void if you do this.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi,

So far as I am aware the models are Country specific i.e. If you purchase the European version it is preset for PAL, North America/Canada it is preset for NTSC

I have the same model as yourself and have updated to software version 1.02 found on the Sony support site here

but these software updates are not to achieve what you are requesting. I think the answer lies within the label plate on the bottom and as you say it is labelled type 50i for PAL.

Perhaps there is a way to do it coming from Sony themselves but I have never heard of this happening before ?

Regards 

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

Hi Jonnie,

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I understand the standards. I'm just wondering how strict those rules are. To change my camera to i60. Is it impossible because Sony doesn't want me to do that, or just tricky, maybe a serviceman necessary to open and set the device? No problem I'll pay for it. Its not broken that is true, but its a big disappointment because I can't barely use it, my target device works only with 30fps and 60fps, how can I convert those from 25fps and 50fps without losing quality ?

Regards,

Laci

Surely you can convert/Render n Vegas Pro 13 , or even in Handbrake, ? just a thought.

profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

Hi Tantra,

Thanks for the answer, but you misunderstood it.

I have 30p/60p devices in the chain, for example an HDMI / USB3 converter. It doesn't accept 50p or 25p video signal

profile.country.GB.title
AlanatCBF
Explorer

I have purchased a Sony FDR-AX53 in the USA in May 2017 which is 60i.  I was assured at the time of purchase that the 4K system was universal and would work in the USA and the UK without any conversion or problems.

Can you please confirm that the advice I received from a main Sony retailer in the USA was correct?

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

Hi Alan,

No, its not true. This is why I'm upset. You can not set the format of the device as you like it, and its not universal at all.

They sell different type in Europe. My device is "i50" for PAL and yours is "i60" for NTSC system. Its labelled on the bottom.

And we can not change that. I have American video devices almost all, and I have to convert the video, if I want to use them. But I can not use them in the video chain at all.

For example I have an HDMI/USB3 converter, it works nicely for 30p and 60p videos. But my camera outputs 25p and 50p. I cant use it.

Your camera (i60):

30p            3840x2160p (4k)

60p, 120p  1920x1080p (Full HD)

My camera (i50)

25p            3840x2160p (4k)

50p, 100p  1920x1080p (Full HD)

The picture quality is about the same. And the devices are worth the same value. Just they are not compatible and interchangeable.

I expected that Sony could make an universal device, but its not true, I'm very disappointed.

Regards,

Laci

profile.country.GB.title
wolf-hg
New

It can be done with this tool:

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak

Just be sure to have the camera already set to 24p mode (important!) or else it has no effect. Also, do not reset the camcorder or you will have to use the tweak again.

Your warranty will most likely be void if you do this.

profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

Hi Wolf,

Thank you very much, probably this is the best solution, although its recommended for IT guys only, not for amateurs. I'm an IT guy no problem, but unfortunately you are already late, because I've bought a Panasonic Lumix GH5 already, I don't care Sony anymore I sold it. 

I don't like Sony's policy, and this is just proves that I was right.

Because then its possible to switch to NTSC from PAL and back, just SONY doesn't want you to do that !!!! They want to limit it !

Hahaha. No Sony anymore, they want my money, but they want to command the rules.

My GH5 is a way better video camera in many aspects, actually in every aspects.

For example the best 4k setting is

Sony: 4k 25fps 8-bit XAVC 100MBit/sec 

GH5:  4k 60fps 10bit H.265 400MBit/sec

The video quality difference is huge, you can imagine. And that is a mirrorless with changeable lens.

I thank Sony for leading me to Panasonic GH5 and forced me to change.

Thanks Wolf though, you are a good man.

profile.country.GB.title
AlanatCBF
Explorer

Thanks Laci,

I have to say I am baffled.  What is 25 or 30?

The AX53 seems to playback okay when I connect the camera to a UK TV.  But the Sony PlayMemories has completely foxed me.  So I am stuck with my video on the SD Card until I work out how to download it and save it onto my Mac.

So, what is the difference between 60i (the camera I purchased in USA) or 50i (Where I live in the UK)?