Join now - be part of our community!

Slow Motion, Camcorder feature

SOLVED
hunter99
Explorer

Slow Motion, Camcorder feature

Hi, new here, have CX410 and do use the slow-motion feature...it woks, that's NOT the issue . . . I want to know HOW it works, . . . as the Sony Website is hardly informative and the User Manual almost ignores it. ( Naughty, Sony).

So, I'd like a Techy answer please . . . pref from Sony . .  but if you have to contact the factory, I can wait..

. . . I think it fast-scans the Sensor, but others believe it's interpolating a standard clip . . . .  it can't be both, but it could be ANOTHER means...

("Golf-Shot" doesn't interest me, as I don't play.Also I need full-frame video which I get from SloMo.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hunter99
Explorer

Thanks, I confirm those timings (although my Media player shows the stretch to 11 sec consistently), Can you say "how" you know the sensor is scanned quicker? I'm not finding that info anywhere....?

The SloMo clop resolution is slightly below the normal 1920x1080,

YET by the time I import it to Vegas Movie-Studio it become full-frame, just like normal vid clips. It's as though the software knows that's what folk want!.

Thanks . . .

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

while I am not 100% sure about the actual frame rate in slow motion mode (I guess it is 120fps: 3s are stretched to 12s in playback) the camera does scan the sensor with higher read out and lower resolution but with no interpolation.

hunter99
Explorer

Thanks, I confirm those timings (although my Media player shows the stretch to 11 sec consistently), Can you say "how" you know the sensor is scanned quicker? I'm not finding that info anywhere....?

The SloMo clop resolution is slightly below the normal 1920x1080,

YET by the time I import it to Vegas Movie-Studio it become full-frame, just like normal vid clips. It's as though the software knows that's what folk want!.

Thanks . . .

profile.country.GB.title
chrislovesangie
Explorer

Hi, newbie here just mooching about !

I no longer bother with the slo mo on my last camera which introduced me to slo mo, the PJ10, ,or current PJ650.

Adobe Premiere is so much easier to work with, capture at full HD, then slow it down as much as you like, for as long as you like, during production ! 

HDR-CX900E has a slow motion option using XAVC S and an appropropriate high-speed 64GB card. The manual provides no information and my dealer has never used it. Can you tell me how I can made it work and show on the viewer or on TV? Other additional settings I missed?
profile.country.GB.title
Fullyfocused
Explorer

I understand it records 3 seconds of footage but this time be made longer..3seconds just isn't enough 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Fullyfocused,

which camcorder are you using?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Fullyfocused
Explorer

It's the Sony HDR-CX115

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Fullyfocused,

that camcorder is simply not technically capable of recording high framerate video for a longer duration of time.

For example the Sony FDR AX700 can record continously at 120 frames per second until the memory card is full.

Though it can only record at its highest framerate (1000fps) for 2 seconds (creating 80 seconds of video footage).

So this is not a software limitation, which could be changed easily, yet dependend on the size and speed of the cameras internal memory.

- Nic