Join now - be part of our community!

AX53 Video File Number Problem

profile.country.GB.title
deepdo
Explorer

AX53 Video File Number Problem

Hi,

I am experinencing problems with the File Numbering for Videos on my AX53, and wonder if other have experienced it, or whether I have a faulty camera?

I am trying to get the video File Numbers to increment correctly each time a new card, or re-formatted card, is inserted.
However, the file number always resets to 'C0001' and then counts up from there.

This is pretty frustrating, since I now have lots of files with the same file numbering.

According to the manual, the options under menu /setup /media setting /filenumber are 'Series' or 'Reset'.  The camera is set to 'Series'.

I also discovered that if I use the camera to delete a particular video file, the next time I record, the deleted file number will be reused - not ideal!

A partial fix is to open the SD files directly on my PC, and delete them from there. That way, the camera will continue to record correctly incremented File Numbers (and not fill any gaps).

However, it doesn't resolve the problem when I use more that one SD card - each seems to keep its own numbering, again creating duplicates.

It should be very easy to replicate.

Simply insert an SD card in the camera and format it.

Record a few clips & note the highest number (eg C0004);

Reformat the card and record another clip;

It should record the next number (eg C0005), but in my camera the new clip will be C0001

Its a nice camera, but reading other comments here, I am a little concerned that this isn't the only issue, and Sony's support is anything but.

I have reported my problem to Sony early May, but so far no useful reply.

If anyone could let me know their expierences with File Numbering it would be a help.

Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
VlRoland
Explorer

You are right, I have exactly the same problem. So something is wrong: or there is a bug, or the description  is wrong. Nobody from Sony is answering here?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert
profile.country.GB.title
deepdo
Explorer

I haven't yet seen any solution to this issue other than the suggestion to rename files, and certainly Sony are ignoring the problem.

This is the fix that I use;

It appears that the sequencing code for video file numbering is held in the MEDIAPRO (XML Document) which is located in the folder PRIVATE > M4ROOT

Copy the MEDIAPRO file to your PC just before reformatting the memory card.

After formatting the card in the camera, simply insert the memory card back into the PC, and replace the newly created MEDIAPRO file with the last version from the PC.

The card can be replaced in the camera, and the numbering will continue from where it left off.

The only issue with this is that if using multiple memory cards, each card will contain the same file numbers as the other cards.

I 'solve' this by using a unique folder for each of my cards, which are marked 1, 2, 3 etc.
Each of these unique folders also contains the backup of the respective MEDIAPRO file.

Not ideal, but if Sony won't fix it at least this works for me.

Hopefully this might help others who are also frustrated by Sony's lack of action over this bug.

profile.country.GB.title
deepdo
Explorer

One other thing;

When deleting a video file I always use a PC, not the camera.

If you use the camera, it will release that file number to be used again, which I find a nusiance, especially since I search by file number expecting it to be date related too.

The MEDIAPRO XML file contains all the file numbers used for recording. When deleting using the camera, it deletes the related record, allowing reuse. Opening the XML file with an editor will show the structure.

profile.country.GB.title
MyerPj
Explorer

So it seems an ongoing issue.

I suppose we can copy the SD card over, format and then copy back the xml file... waste of energy if we have to...

rbatey
New

I can't believe this is still an issue in June 2019! 

On my a7iii, deleting the video files from the card using the pc does work, but when you replace the card in the camera, you will see "?Unable to display." on the playback screen for all the deleted files. Many people say it is better to reformat the card before each shoot, so this technique would mean that the card never gets reformatted. I don't know if this would cause any problems eventually.

The best workaround seems to be as described above, copy the MEDIAPRO.XML file to pc, put card back in camera, reformat card in camera, put card back into pc and replace the mediapro file, put card back in camera again, and continue shooting.

On cameras like the a7iii that have two card slots, that means going through this with both cards.

If you are using Lightroom, a good alternative may be to rename the video files upon import. You would need to import photos separetely so they do not get renamed.

The other related issue that is still a huge problem. Deleting a video in camera frees up that file number for reuse. For example, if you have 99 video clips on a card, and you delete number C0003, your 100th clip will be named C0003 (instead of C0100). This will put the files out of order sequentially in file browsers and Lightroom when sorting by filename. I don't know a solution for this, but in Lightroom at least you could just sort by capture time. 

But in Lightroom, you will see that Lightroom does not know the correct creation date, so sorting videos by capture time is of no help.  The next workaround (if you're still reading!) is to select the video files, go to Metadata>Edit Capture Time and click the "Change to file's creation date" button, then click "Correct All". You can type in any time/date you want, but it seems to know the correct time/dates on mine so I can skip that and just click "Correct All". Now you can sort by capture date.

Hope that helps somebody.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @rbatey,

well, this thread was about file number problems regarding the FDR-AX53 but you're talking about the A7III. It actually would have been better to open up a new thread even if the problem seems to be similar (I see your point/reason). Anyhow, should you wish to move your post to a new thread we can do so. If not, it'll simply stay here.

@rbatey  schrieb:

On my a7iii, deleting the video files from the card using the pc does work, but when you replace the card in the camera, you will see "?Unable to display." on the playback screen for all the deleted files. 

Yes, that's normal, as the camera holds a database for every single still/movie. In case you're deleting a still/movie by means of the camera, the database will of course be updated. However, when deleting files by means of a PC/Mac (whatsoever), the database will not be updated, hence the camera does not "know" about missing stills/movies. That's why you're seeing the "Unable to display" message. Well, from my point of view a message like "File missing" would be clearer but that's another discussion.

Whatsoever, there's a simple solution to get rid of this message: Recover Image DB. That help text is meant for the ILCE-7M3 but should be almost similar on all A7III models. 

The best workaround seems to be as described above, copy the MEDIAPRO.XML file to pc, put card back in camera, reformat card in camera, put card back into pc and replace the mediapro file, put card back in camera again, and continue shooting.

No, that's absolutely not necessary in case you're recovering the database as described above!

Additionally (re-)formatting a card does erase every single file on the respective card, so copying files to that card before formatting is simply useless (might sound harsh but it's simply a fact). Formatting a card means that every single file will be deleted (well, actually it's a bit different but too much technical stuff to be explained here), folders will be created and a new and empty database will be created.

I cannot see any good reason for replacing an XML file on a freshly formatted card by an XML from the PC unless you're looking for trouble. Maybe it worked for you because you've replaced an (empty) XML on the card by an empty XML on your PC? Could you please clarify this?

On cameras like the a7iii that have two card slots, that means going through this with both cards.

Well, recovering the database might be necessary for two cards but will still work as described in my first paragraph and as shown in the help file...

If you are using Lightroom, a good alternative may be to rename the video files upon import. You would need to import photos separetely so they do not get renamed.

Actually I don't quite get what you're talking about here.

The other related issue that is still a huge problem. Deleting a video in camera frees up that file number for reuse. For example, if you have 99 video clips on a card, and you delete number C0003, your 100th clip will be named C0003 (instead of C0100). This will put the files out of order sequentially in file browsers and Lightroom when sorting by filename. I don't know a solution for this, but in Lightroom at least you could just sort by capture time. 

Okay, this I don't know. However, maybe chosing "Series" in the file number settings (as shown here) could be of help here? If that's not the case I'd say yes, that's a problem!

Hope that I could be of any help.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
Deltr0n
New

Great solution. I have the A&III which has the same issue. So crazy. 

Can you please elaborate on the issue: 

"The only issue with this is that if using multiple memory cards, each card will contain the same file numbers as the other cards."

I don't quite follow what you are referring to here.

Many thanks,

D