Join now - be part of our community!

AX700 and file names..

profile.country.FI.title
petrikapiainen
New

AX700 and file names..

Few shoot made now, but suddenly I realized that the file names are not continues.. :rage:

Does anybody knows if I could control the file names to be used? I don't want to find tons of C0001.MP4 from my computer :frowning2:

Day with running index would be the most useful (20180527-0001.mp4).

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @petrikapiainen,

@petrikapiainen  schrieb:

Day with running index would be the most useful (20180527-0001.mp4).

that would be the case if you would record AVCHD. For XAVC-S I don't know any way to change the naming sheme.

- Nic

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @petrikapiainen,

well, that's the way it is and nobody knows why.

However, there are different ways in changing those Cxxxx.mp4 filenames into meaningful names like "20180306_125004_C0001.mp4" (as used on my PC), which stands for Date: 06.03.2018 (denomination backwards for sorting reasons), Time: 12:50:04, followed by the original file name.

There are several ways to achieve this. In case you're interested I could publish a script which is using the freeware ExifTool in order to rename those Cxxxx.mp4 files automatically. You'll most likely need some more advice to be successful in using this tool but it's actually not too complicated. However, there's no user interface so my script is working mainly invisible.

In case you'd rather be looking for some software with a GUI you might be interested in Rename Expert (free version with limitations in the number of files which will be renamed in one go) which will cost you 29,95€ for the full version. Anyhow, might be worth testing it. You maybe might need some advice for that software as well, though.

Finally, there's other software around which works like RenameExpert at lower or higher costs, well, I don't know.

Anyhow, don't hesitate to ask for further help.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.FI.title
petrikapiainen
New

The worst part on this was, Sony seems to not understand the issue at all when I asked that :see_no_evil:

I made the .ps 1 script to this:

param(
    [Parameter (mandatory=$true)]
    [string] $filesDirectory
)

# Read the files
$files = Get-ChildItem -Path $filesDirectory

foreach ($file in $files)
{
    # Inform user about the new names.
    write-host "The new Name is: " -NoNewline -ForegroundColor Yellow
    write-host "$($file.LastWriteTime.ToString("yyyyMMdd")) - $($file.Name)" -ForegroundColor green

if (Test-Path -Path "$($file.Directory)\$($file.LastWriteTime.ToString("yyyyMMdd")) - $($file.Name)")
    {
        #Add random index if such a file already exis. It should not be possible, but just in case.
        Rename-Item -Path $file.FullName -NewName  "$($file.LastWriteTime.ToString("yyyyMMdd")) - $(Get-Random -Minimum 1 -Maximum 9) - $($file.Name)"
    }
    else
    {
        # Rename the file
        Rename-Item -Path $file.FullName -NewName  "$($file.LastWriteTime.ToString("yyyyMMdd")) - $($file.Name)"
    }
}

Write-Host "Completed" -ForegroundColor Cyan

Save the file into RenameSonyFiles.ps1 and then run it on the PowerShell session. Basically it takes the last written date from each file and then add the date in format YYYYMMDD begin of the file (and " - " as a separator. You should run the code by: RenameSonyFiles.ps1 -filesDirectory c:\SonyVideos\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @petrikapiainen,

well, my solution is a bit different, using the above mentioned ExifTool.

I simply created a new link on my desktop (right click onto the desktop -> new -> link) and named it "Rename MP4". Thereafter I right clicked onto the new symbol and chose "Properties". Into the first empty field (target or similar on English systems) I entered the following line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ExifTool\exiftool.exe" -d %Y%m%d_%H%M%S_%%f%%-c.%%e "-filename<FileModifyDate" *.mp4

In the next line I've put "C:\Program Files (x86)\ExifTool\"

Well, of course I've created the ExifTool directory and placed the application into it beforehand. All I now need to do is to drag & drop the files to be renamed onto the symbol and all of them will be renamed. And by the way, it's working for MOV files as well, no need to type in MOV instead of mp4. MOVs from e.g. Canon cameras are using a numeric naming system as well.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)