Join now - be part of our community!

Camcorders using mini-DV tapes as recording medium

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
amateurbergman
Visitor

Camcorders using mini-DV tapes as recording medium

I have used a Sony Handycam for years...mostly the old DCR-PC1000E.  The problem I've always had with it is that the mini-DV open/eject mechanism isn't quite as durable as it should be.  My first camcorder lasted a few years, and then one day the mechanism which opens the cassette compartment to allow you to put in or take out a mini-DV cassette failed on me.  Turning it on and off would occasionally work, but eventually it just died.  I had to prise open the compartment to get the tape out.  I then bought a used one from eBay, and carried on making great movies for another 2 years, but then the same thing happened again. 

So...even though I've burned quite a few of the movies onto DVDs, using Final Cut Express as the movie editing software, I still have lots of mini-DVD tapes which have never been uploaded onto a computer for editing & have never been burned onto a disc.  I suddenly find that, not only do I not have a camcorder to make new films, but I also have no way of viewing or uploading or burning onto a disc the OLD min-dv tapes!  Trying to buy a new camcorder is proving to be difficult because it seems like most camcorders nowadays just record onto some kind of internal memory, or memory stick, or straight onto a dvd disc.  Whenever I type in "mini-dv tape camcorder" into a search engine I get a bunch of old discontinued models.  I saw an ad for a Sony DCR-P350...which looked pretty good....but then can't seem to find anywhere to actually buy one! 

Can anyone help please? 

Do camcorders using mini-DV tapes as the recording medium just simply not exist anymore?

I'm happy to move on and embrace new technology, but I obviously still need some kind of mini-dv tape reader of some way of uploading all my previously recorded tapes onto a computer in order to edit them and burn onto a disc for viewing on a dvid player.  Appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello amateurbergman - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As like you say, the majority of new camcorders available are now recording onto alternative media, I would advise you to return to somewhere like eBay to pick up another second hand mini DV compatible camcorder. Even if you are not going to use the recording facility to make new tapes, you will still be able to use the playback function and therefore attach it to a computer in the manner that you are used to in order to extract the data. After that, you will be able to continue burning this video to disc/DVD on your PC.

I have looked at dedicated mini DV tape decks in the past and the cost did seem prohibitive when comparing it to picking up a second hand camcorder. The advantage of these tapes is that they are in a digital format which means that in theory, there should be no loss of quality when using a second hand camcorder of whatever age to transfer original tapes to a PC.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

brrobin19
Explorer

Hi amaturebergman

I sympathise with your predicament, the cost of good low use mini dv camcorders are bringing ridiculous prices now. I purchased two different Sony camcorder in Australia, 1 on each visit. The first one was an sony 120e with the difference that the Australia model had a 'record in ' function which accepted a signal from any AV source and play video8, hi-8 and records in digital 8, a really versatile camcorder which although 10years old is still perfect.

The second camera was bought in Sydney in 2003 and was the highly acclaimed PC-330E dv camcorder, this was the top quality forerunner to the PC-350E, the difference was that the 330 was charged by the conventional plug in charger whilst the 350 model was charged by locating on a 'Plinth base charger' fed by a plugged in mini mains lead.

Both of these camcorders are in pristine full working condition and still used regulary since they have firewire in and out. They have been replaced with the more modern Sony CX range models which use the SD cards which can easily be replaced by a spare when making a long film for susequent editing.

I would certainly try and perseviere to keep trying to get a good DV camcorder because after converting your tapes you will be able to sell it for a good price, the only trouble is that good ones are like 'Gold Dust'

Best Regards Brian

[Edited to remove spaces within the text]

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello amateurbergman - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As like you say, the majority of new camcorders available are now recording onto alternative media, I would advise you to return to somewhere like eBay to pick up another second hand mini DV compatible camcorder. Even if you are not going to use the recording facility to make new tapes, you will still be able to use the playback function and therefore attach it to a computer in the manner that you are used to in order to extract the data. After that, you will be able to continue burning this video to disc/DVD on your PC.

I have looked at dedicated mini DV tape decks in the past and the cost did seem prohibitive when comparing it to picking up a second hand camcorder. The advantage of these tapes is that they are in a digital format which means that in theory, there should be no loss of quality when using a second hand camcorder of whatever age to transfer original tapes to a PC.

Thanks,

Simon

amateurbergman
Visitor

Thanks Simon

If I decide to buy a used mini-DV camcorder just for the purposes of being able to use it as a tape reader, so I can pop my mini-DV tapes in and upload them to my Mac, does it matter how great or otherwise the quality of the camera is?

Doesn't seem to be much point in shelling out a lot of ££ if I can just buy something like a Sony DCRHC51E for £189. I'm assuming it doesn't matter at all whether the mini-DV camcorder I buy has a 40X zoom or a 200X zoom, or whether it has this kind of feature or that kind of feature. All I'm going to use it for is as a means to upload.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

And then I guess I'll get myself one of these new "alternative media" camcorders to use in the future.

Thanks again

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

That is correct - you are picking up another Mini DV camcorder solely to transfer the previous tapes to a computer so the actual features of the camera itself wouldn't be a factor (unless of course you intend to use it to record new footage as well).

The way things are generally going now, hard drive and memory card based camcorders are the most commonly sold types of camcorder mainly because of their ease of use and with the hard drive models in particular, there is no need to buy expensive media. The same can be said of memory card models too as the cards can be backed up to a computer relatively easily before wiping/formatting and starting again i.e. pick up one or two high capacity cards and you are good to go.

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

You might also be able to get very acceptable results from a 'miniDV-to-DVD service' – Google it and you'll find any number of firms that will take your tapes and transfer your vids to DVD for a reasonable rate. You can then import them via your DVD drive, edit, etc.

It could be cost effective, as they often get as cheap as $5 per tape if you have a job lot to do. Individually expect to pay £10-15. There was a time when you could pick up a used DV camera for next to nothing, but as they get older a good condition working example is becoming harder to find, and hence more expensive. It'll likely cost you less to convert a dozen tapes that it will to buy a second-hand camera.

If you have a lot more that that, it might be worth your while to 'turn over' a second-hand one. Tourists do the same with campervans in Australia... buy one, use it, sell it when you're done.

It could well cost you the same as a new-fangled SD card-based one though. I have a TRV355E and was astonished to see one go for the same price I paid for it new, 10 years ago, on eBay recently :smileycrazy:

Mine, however, is not for sale :wink:

Mick

@8295792705029699
Visitor

I have been down this route myself, although the Mini-DV camcorder which failed was a 14 year old JVC.  I did not get very far with finding someone to copy them for me, as the cost for doing around 40 tapes was more than buying a new camera, let alone one off Ebay.  However, I telephoned JVC support and they put me in touch with a company in Birmingham which claimed to be able to repair most makes. They charged £25 for an inspection which was refunded on placing the order to repair. I got my camera repaired for £60 and set about copying all my tapes onto a hard drive for future editing. I then decided to buy a modern camera and have just purchased the Sony HDR-CX730, which is absolutely brilliant!

brrobin19
Explorer

Hi amaturebergman

I sympathise with your predicament, the cost of good low use mini dv camcorders are bringing ridiculous prices now. I purchased two different Sony camcorder in Australia, 1 on each visit. The first one was an sony 120e with the difference that the Australia model had a 'record in ' function which accepted a signal from any AV source and play video8, hi-8 and records in digital 8, a really versatile camcorder which although 10years old is still perfect.

The second camera was bought in Sydney in 2003 and was the highly acclaimed PC-330E dv camcorder, this was the top quality forerunner to the PC-350E, the difference was that the 330 was charged by the conventional plug in charger whilst the 350 model was charged by locating on a 'Plinth base charger' fed by a plugged in mini mains lead.

Both of these camcorders are in pristine full working condition and still used regulary since they have firewire in and out. They have been replaced with the more modern Sony CX range models which use the SD cards which can easily be replaced by a spare when making a long film for susequent editing.

I would certainly try and perseviere to keep trying to get a good DV camcorder because after converting your tapes you will be able to sell it for a good price, the only trouble is that good ones are like 'Gold Dust'

Best Regards Brian

[Edited to remove spaces within the text]