Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SR58E E31.00 HDD ERROR

profile.country.en_GB.title
13oulter
Visitor

DCR-SR58E E31.00 HDD ERROR

My son has had this come up on his DCR-SR58E Handy Cam  (E:31:00 HDD FORMAT ERROR) does anyone no what it means and how to clear it. cheers micky

9 REPLIES 9
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello 13oulter - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If this error is preventing your son from taking new video and playing back what has already been recorded, it sounds like the hard drive inside the camera will need to be re-formatted and unfortunately, this will result in all of the video being erased from the camera.

Therefore, first of all you should try and get the video off of the camera in the usual manner using the software provided with the DCR-SR58E (Picture Motion Browser). If this doesn't work because of the 'HDD Format Error', there are various freeware applications available that will try and recover the corrupted data. Having taken a look at some other users who have experienced this problem, many have said that using the free version of Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 has worked for them and this can be found at http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/. There are other programs available that claim to do the same thing and you can get a list of these by typing 'free hard drive recovery software' into Google.

Hopefully, once you have recovered any important recordings, you can go ahead and re-format the hard drive inside the camera. To do this, open the camera's menu and select 'MENU' and then 'MANAGE MEDIA' and then 'MEDIA FORMAT'. Select your internal hard drive and this will re-format the HDD.

Thanks

Simon H

Jahadhmy
Visitor

I need your help please, well i accidently formatted my DCR-SR36E HDD using windows but it wasnt successful because it is write protected, i really wanted to format it because i have already transfered files to my pc, so i unplug its usb using windows safety remove tool, then when its on video mode it indicated an error saying "HDD FORMAT ERROR". So i thought it needs to be format on camcorders menu's option so went to HOME/MANAGE MEDIA/MEDIA FORMAT. It was processing when it reached 1 sec it indicated another error saying "UNABLE TO ACCESS HDD". So right now i cant record anything. Please please help me get my camcorder to function again. Thanks alot to who it may concern.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Jahadmy - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

There may be a physical problem with the hard drive inside the camera. If possible, can you find a quiet place and turn on your camera. When you try and access or format the hard drive, if you can hear a clicking noise or some other unusual sound coming from the device then this may indicate that the hard drive has failed.

Let me know if you can hear anything.

Thanks,

Simon

Jahadhmy
Visitor

Yes Simon, you are right. There is a clicking sound on the hard drive, that sound occurs whenever i access the hard drive or format it, is there anyway it can be fixed or i can replace the Hard Drive and i know my warranty is out, because i got it as a gift like 4years ago i think. Where can i purchase the hard drive spare part?  Please advise, thanks i really appreciate your help. Thanks.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again Jahadmy :slight_smile:

I am not sure about the exact hard drive part needed or indeed if there is one that is commercially available - you would need to get in touch with Sony Customer Services and find out. Their contact details are on the following forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

I have a feeling that even if it is possible, it would be more expensive than actually purchasing a new camera but it may still be worth finding out.

Thanks,

Simon

Jahadhmy
Visitor

Well simon, this is my responsibility for your service which you have done for me, I.E: Appreciation, well thanks for your help am blissful for your service, the fast replies and nice language. I believe my problem its not possible to solve until to the service center of Sony, anyway thanks alot Simon for your service.

Message was edited by: Jahadhmy

profile.country.GB.title
umershrif
New

I have Sony HDR-XR150E 120GB camcorder It shows HDD Error I'm trying to format it but it says HDD format Error. please advise how to resolve it? I can hear click sound when trying to format it. but how this possible that if hear click sound then hard drive is failed need to replace. I was put my camcorder fine after a week when start it says this msg, is there any way to fix this hard drive error or is there any other way to format hard drive???

Also advise can I install IPod 120GB Hard Drive in it? ipod hard drive is same as handycam's.

Thanks,

Umer
Karachi Pakistan.
profile.country.GB.title
umershrif
New

Error code is C:13:02

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @umershrif,

@umershrif  schrieb:

I can hear click sound when trying to format it.

sorry, that's normally a sign for a hardware failure. The clicking sound is often an indication that the reading/writing heads of the disk cannot find any readable volume hence they are moving back to a hard stop. That causes the clicking sound. There's nothing you could do about accept for exchanging the disk.

Anyhow I doubt whether you could simply replace it by an iPod drive because, as far as I know, you would need a disk which was certified by Sony to be accepted by the camera.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)