Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Handycam HDR CX405

profile.country.GB.title
Naomi29
Explorer

Sony Handycam HDR CX405

I have a Sony Handycam HDR CX405. When I record in AVCHD and plug it straight into my TV the quality is brilliant. But when I import to Windows 10 via PlayMemories home the quality looks awful (MP4) format. It is an MTS file when it imports and stays an MTS file but the quality is so grainy. 

I connect my laptop via HDMI to my TV to watch saved home videos and I want to be able to watch them in HD. I have tried a couple of converters where I convert the MTS file to HD MOV format or otherwise but the quality is still awful. 

What am I missing here?!! How does it play in HD when the camcorder is connected to the TV but when I connect to my laptop the quality goes completely even though I am not doing anything!

Please please help me as all I want to do is watch my home videos in the quality they have recorded in. I would appreciate any help or advice at all. Just makes having an HD camcorder pointless if all it plays back in is MP4 quality. 

Many thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Naomi29,

I think what you are describing has more to do with the post-processing your TV performs on the HDMI signal than with the video quality the camcorder creates.

On your PC you are probably seeing the video in its "real" quality, without it being enhanced.

Also I don't understand your usage of the term "MP4-quality". MP4 videos can have stunning quality, depending on the resolution and bitrate - the way you use the term sounds like you mean "MP4-quality"="bad quality" which is not generally true.

Which Quality setting have you selected on the camcorder? Maybe you can select a higher quality there to improve the general quality of your AVCHD videos.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Naomi29
Explorer

Hi Nic

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Sorry if I didn't make much sense...just trying to figure it out!!
It imports it as MP4 but the quality is bad...almost like how old mobile phones used to record. Certainly worse than my iPhone 8. 

I am recording in "AVCHD" and in "High Quality" which is 2nd from top for quality options on the camcorder. I also turned off "dual recording" so it would only film in HD quality and not low quality MP4. 

How can I view the enhanced version on my computer?? Because it seems when it imports to PlayMemories home it imports in low quality. I really would just love it in the same quality as it plays on the TV!!!

Many thanks again