Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SX33E codec and compatible editing software

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jojo2012
Visitor

DCR-SX33E codec and compatible editing software

I am non-technical. I would like to know if the DCR-SX33 records in mpeg 2 or avchd? what is the best software to import the video files and edit them on PC. Basic editing needed but more than just trimming ends.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

hi jojo2012, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The SX33e is a SD (Standard Definition) handycam, so it will shoot mpeg-2; AVCHD is mpeg-4 (HD) format.

You can use the free Picture Motion Browser (PMB) software that comes with the camera (also available for download) or pretty much any video editing software. PMB is a good place to start, work out if it's enough for your needs, and maybe explore other options. There's an overview here: http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/picture_motion_browser/

Hope that helps!

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

hi jojo2012, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The SX33e is a SD (Standard Definition) handycam, so it will shoot mpeg-2; AVCHD is mpeg-4 (HD) format.

You can use the free Picture Motion Browser (PMB) software that comes with the camera (also available for download) or pretty much any video editing software. PMB is a good place to start, work out if it's enough for your needs, and maybe explore other options. There's an overview here: http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/picture_motion_browser/

Hope that helps!

Mick

jojo2012
Visitor

Thanks you, but that still doesn't tell me which format it shoots in. Also, you say any editing software will work but I do not think that is true. not all software works with mpeg 2. If I am not right please let me know why.

Mick2011
New

The format the camera shoots in is MPEG-2.

Most video editing software will accept it; some,like Windows Movie Maker, require an extra codec. Others convert it to another format either before or after editing, but very few are incapable of recognising it.

Did you try Sony PMB? I'm not really clear if you still have a problem editing your videos, or you're simply having trouble deciding which software to use.

All I can suggest is a Google search. There are dozens of available software options, some free, almost all having free-trial periods so you can try them out before you buy.

Good luck with it :slight_smile:

Mick