Join now - be part of our community!

Digital8 not recognised usb unit

profile.country.NO.title
hogneper
Explorer

Digital8 not recognised usb unit

I want to copy from my Digital8 camera DCR-TRV310E to my Windows 10 pc, but the pc display the Message "does not recognise the pc unit" when I connect the camera to the pc using the FireWire cable.  When I use the 3 RCA cable there is no sign of connection at all.  Does anybody know what to do? Is there a driver available? I had the same problem with my old computer with Windows 7. In the old days my Windows XP pc had no problem handling this, but unfortunately it doesn't work anymore. And I still have some tapes to copy...

With regards hogneper

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I'll look into this and will update the thread if I can find a solution.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi hogneper, 

I've tried to check the user Manual for the camcorder. It doesn't seem that it's compatible with recent Windows versions Like Windows 7/10. But I'd suggest that you try using i.LINK cable and install PlayMemories Home software. Here's a full Guide about this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv310e/articles/00022457

Cheers,

Vanilla_

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @hogneper,

I want to copy from my Digital8 camera DCR-TRV310E to my Windows 10 pc, but the pc display the Message "does not recognise the pc unit" when I connect the camera to the pc using the FireWire cable.  When I use the 3 RCA cable there is no sign of connection at all.

the problem with Firewire is that Microsoft stopped its support within Windows 10 (like Apple did already earlier). You might try to set up a virtual Windows XP using either Microsoft's Hyper-V technology (see here) or e.g. VirtualBox. You'll need a XP installation disk though.

Here you'll find a detailed explanation of how to set up a virtual XP by means of VirtualBox. The article shows as well which file you'd need to download from Microsoft when going this way. Once the virtual version of XP is running you'll most likely still need to setup Firewire within the virtual machine (best is to use the so-called "legal" driver which is delivered with XP).

The following is a solution for Windows 8.1, however some people report having had luck with this driver in Windows 10 as well.

You might as well look for an extra firewire card which comes with drivers for Windows 10.

Finally, for transferring videos from the camera to your PC using the analogue cable (3 RCA as you called it) you'll need a video grabber like e.g. this one.

Hope that anything of what I said above is of help.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.NO.title
hogneper
Explorer

Thanks Vanilla for your suggestion. I have downloaded PlayMemories and connected the camera with i.link cable, but I still get the message "does not recognice the usb unit".

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @hogneper,

@hogneper  schrieb:

Thanks Vanilla for your suggestion. I have downloaded PlayMemories and connected the camera with i.link cable, but I still get the message "does not recognice the usb unit".

Well, i.Link is a Firewire (or IEEE1394) connection and has got nothing to do with USB. Although PlayMemories should be able to identify a camera connected via i.Link, this will only work if you have got the respective drivers installed and running.

You can find out whether you've got Firewire drivers on your system by looking into the device manager. There needs to be an entry named "IEEE 1394 Host-Controller". Open that branch in case it's there and you'll see the entry of the installed driver. In my case it reads (translated from German) "VIA 1394-Hostcontroller conforming to OHCI". Well, this machine is about 10 years old and was running with Win 7 at first. I've had this driver running ever since. When upgrading to Win 10 the driver was automatically migrated and is working still.

Anyhow, PlayMemories does not recognise my old DCR-TRV310E (yes, I've got the same camera) as well, so I'm using a different solution. So, in case you've got Firewire drivers installed you may try one of the following proposals. In case there's no driver you'd need to install one at first. You might try the one for Win 8.1 which I've mentioned in my previous post.

First off, and this might be important:

My present version of Windows is Win 10 Pro Version 1903 Build 18362.295 64 bit and I have not yet tested whether my previously working solutions are actually still working. Anyhow, here they are:

The easiest advice is this: Turn off camera, establish the i.Link/Firewire connection between camera and PC and then (not earlier! This is really important!) switch on the camera. Now check, whether PlayMemories recognises the camera. If it does, all will be okay. In case that does not help: Maybe you've got some video editing software, which might be able to recognise the camera nevertheless?

If you don't, you may check this: As a rather cheap solution you could try Magix Movie Edit Pro which has got a Firewire interface included. There's a free trial version available so there's no need to spend money unless you know whether it's going to work or not.

Finally you might try Scenalyzer. The development of the programme stopped in 2010 so there's no guarantee that it's still working (I've been using it since 2002). Well, it did work on my system last year still but I didn't test it after the latest Win 10 updates. However, it's free and for me it was/is the best programme for transferring videos from old cameras like the DCR-TRV310E still.

So, download the ZIP-file and extract it into any folder you like on your machine. Within "license.txt" you'll find the necessary key and a description on how to "register" or unlock the programme. There's no need to install the programme. You can simply start it from within the folder you've extracted it to.

It's however important that you're starting the programme with administrator rights when starting it for the first time. So do a right click onto "sclive.exe" and chose "Run as administrator". This is necessary only when starting Scenalyzer for the very first time. Then copy the key to the programme as described in "license.txt". It'll restart and then you're ready to go.

Whatsoever, in any case it's important that you connect the camera and your PC using the i.Link cable before you're switching on the camera. However, there'll be no sound from the PC once the connection is ready to being used and you won't see the camera in Window's Explorer. This normal for Firewire connections.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.NO.title
hogneper
Explorer

Thanks darkframe! I'm really impressed of all Your knowledge about different software opportunities. It might be necessary for me to follow Your suggestions, but miracles are still happening! My old HP with XP has rised from the grave and the HP recognised the camera, and during the last days I've copied 3 hours of recordings of my children in their most charming age. I'm very satisfied...

But again; thank you Darkframe for Your effort!

Alle the best regards from hogneper

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @hogneper,

My old HP with XP has rised from the grave and the HP recognised the camera, and during the last days I've copied 3 hours of recordings of my children in their most charming age. I'm very satisfied...

Ha ha ha 😁

Well, that's the best solution anyhow! Let's pray that good old HP manages to stay alive until you've copied all of your tapes!

Oh, by the way: Thank you for your kind words!

Hugs,

darkframe

profile.country.NO.title
hogneper
Explorer

Thanks darkframe, I hope so too!

hogneper