Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX1E firmware update

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
IJammer
Explorer

FDR-AX1E firmware update

Hi all...

Newbie hobbiest here... apologies if I am asking a silly question.

I have recently inherited a Sony FDR-AX1E camcorder with only 3hrs use.  It has been laid up unused for over ten years; is in pristine condition but has the original firmware (v1.01)  I have downloaded the v. 4 firmware upgrade; a .bin file, that I will install to a  camera formatted SDHC (FAT16) card to carry out the upgrade.  However, there is anothe file... an  .MD5 file about 1k in size amongst the extracted zip file... does anyone know if I have to include this .MD5 file on the SDHC card along with the .bin file to complete the update? 

Has anyone had bad experiances with firmware updates on this old(ish) camcorder?

Many thanks for any advice... ^

Dave (Southampton)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Instructions say to copy only ".bin" on the flash card.

.MD5 is a standard format to check integrity of archives. You can easly search "MD5 online calculator" and chose your preferred service. I usually use that https://md5file.com/calculator

After calculation (on .bin file) you have to compare result with the content of MD5 file downloaded.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Why do no follow instructions? https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/memory-camcorders-fdr-ax-series/fdr-ax1e/downloads/Z00053...

You need for MD5 only for integrity check of bin file

profile.country.GB.title
IJammer
Explorer

Hi, thanks for that link...

I read that... it still does not mention the .MD5 file?  So do I have to include it on the SDHC card along with the .bin file?  

How do I use the .MD5 file to check the integrity of the bin file?  Is it an executable file?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Instructions say to copy only ".bin" on the flash card.

.MD5 is a standard format to check integrity of archives. You can easly search "MD5 online calculator" and chose your preferred service. I usually use that https://md5file.com/calculator

After calculation (on .bin file) you have to compare result with the content of MD5 file downloaded.

profile.country.GB.title
IJammer
Explorer

That's great... :slight_smile: thanks for you're explanation to a camcorder novice ^ I will try the update tomorrow and have everthing crossed :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Don’t forget to use a fully charged battery and a quality flash support

profile.country.GB.title
IJammer
Explorer

Yup, a fully charged battery and the 12v PSU... so no chance of a power failure.  Formatted the 16gb SDHC flash drive in the camera, loaded the FDR-AX1....bin  firmware file onto the card!  all looked good.  Went to system on the camcorder menu and executed 1.101 to v4 update.  It went straight to the file and started reading/loading the update.  after 3 minutes it had acheived 100%... and that was that!  I waited 20 minutes and no message to say it had completed or was closing down to complete phase 2.  <????>   I switched it off, disconected the battery and PSU as reconnected and powered up again nothing! Just a blank screen!  Thankyou Sony, you just trashed my AX1; it's a $4.5k brick! with three hours of use from new!

Lesson learned... NEVER buy a Sony!  I have several Panasonic electronic units, some going back fourty years; never had a problem with any of them, TV's, radios cameras and Blu-ray.  I can't recollect any Sony equipment that I have purchased that is still working!!!

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Actually I have no interest if you don't use sony anymore.

Probably yes, at this point it's a black brick.

Not only the display told you about the install process, what was doing the red light?

If you tourn on again the camera with the SD with .bin file, what happen the the red light?

If you are interested to use again the camera and prev steps has failed, you have to contact pro sony service.

profile.country.GB.title
IJammer
Explorer

Having read other peoples experiances with Sony firmware upgrades... I can only guess what was in the file from Sony!  It's basically send it back for an expensive fix for something they should have installed in the camcorder before the sold it!  Good money if you can get it eh! The SD media slot and USB socket were inoperable with v.1.01 firmware 'Not of merchantable quality!' ?   Anyhow, the camcorder is over ten years old so it's not worth investing £1k or more for a repair.  One thing that was weird... I was told you had to format the SDHC flash card with the camcorder as it would format it FAT16... I did this (twice), however when I went to my PC to install the bin file it was telling me the card was FAT32 <?>  When the camcorder was loading and executing the bin file the rec light was flashing, when it reached 100% after 3 minutes the record led stopped flashing and went off! However, according to the instruction file the camcorder should have rebooted after 3 minutes and then continue for another 9 minutes to finish the update!  It did not do that. I will try what you said with the bin file in the SD slot and power the camcorder again (tomorrow). However... I am not hopeful as this shows no sign of life what so ever on the display.