Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX700 HDR 2020 .Do you have issues with recording red colours?

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

FDR-AX700 HDR 2020 .Do you have issues with recording red colours?

Using Picture Profile 10 I should be able to record 2020 HLG without any issues since this conforms to the European Standards.In reality bright reds have a milky or pink appearance.Only changing to 709 are the colours correct.Anyone else experienced this?If so how was it corrected?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

this is completly normal and the case on my FDR AX700 camcorder as well.

As for S-Log and all other Log-profiles the camera shows you what it captures when you set it to HybridLogGamma (HLG) with the wider color space of BT2020, which is not a representation of what you see with you naked eye, yet in fact what the video will look like when played back unprocessed.

The information is stored within said file, yet you either need a capable playback device which can access this information and do post processing on the video-file or you need to do color correction in order to make the video a correct representation of color and dynamic range.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Thank you for your advise.According to Panasonic the tint control on my TV works in a completely different way when it receives a HDR 2020 signal and boosts the red ,but ,importantly does not change anything else.Amazingly by using this at the plus 15 position the reds have returned to what they should be and it has not changed anything else.I was confident that the skin tone would have changed but once again even at the maximum of plus 30  the skin tone and all other colours are correct.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

do I understand correctly, that the look of the red-tones was related to the TV?

- Nic