Join now - be part of our community!

Sony TRV250E Drivers

profile.country.GB.title
Vitordf
New

Sony TRV250E Drivers

Hi,

I have an olde DCR-TRV250 and some Digital-8 and Hi8 tapes that I want to digitize, any idea where I can get drivers for Windows 10 or is there any other solution that I could do?

Thanks

Any help and all the help is appreciated,

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The only way to transfer digital video is if your PC has a iLink/DV/FireWire connection. With this you can use the free PlayMemories software to import your video. With Windows 10 you may have to select a legacy driver.

Direct digital transfer by USB was only possible with Windows XP. No driver support is available for newer Windows versions.

If your PC does not have an iLink input, the only way to transfer your video is in analogue form using the supplied AV cable out of the camcorder. You will need to purchase a USB Video Capture Device to convert the analogue output into a digital USB input. Look for a Video Capture Device on Amazon (£10 to &150).

Conversion may mean a small loss of quality.

Have a look here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv250e/articles/00172974

profile.country.GB.title
NormanOd
New

Thank you for the mail, it is probably the most useful I have received.  I had come across your name in help to other questions. Because of the age of the camera, some of the input from Sony support has been a bit confused and not helpful, presumably it no longer registers on their prompt sheet.

Although I have managed to download the 32-bit PlayMemories Home using Wndows 10, my XP system, which I keep off line for security reasons, will not ecognise the file as 32-bit, presumably it is only suitable for 32-bit systems post XP.  Your link draws my attention to the firewire connection procedure, which perhaps should have appeared in red at the top of the article. I had yesterday discovered this link: https://www.avforums.com/threads/firewire-does-it-wreck-a-camcorder.476761/  and have come to the conclusion that my DV output is shot, so, although I am now much beetter informed, I am no further forward, will take the AV option.

Regards, N

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Norman

What version of PlayMemories have you downloaded?

It looks like Sony are trying to discontinue 32-bit systems. I have asked Sony to see if an older, legacy version is available and I am confident they will find one. If you use this version, you will have to disable all automatic updates.

Watch this space.

profile.country.GB.title
NormanOd
New

Hi,

I have downloaded the 32-bit, from memory it's 5501, with full stops
somewhere; it's due to be discontinued next Feb.  I've resisted any
update offers since they won'tt work with tapes.  I did th download with
a Windows 10 PC to a USB stick.  The zipfile was not recognised by
Windows explorer on the XP PC but was successfully unzipped!  When I
tried to install, I got the "Not a 32-bit file" message.  It has
successfully installed on the Windows 10 machine.  However, as I said in